I NEED You I want to know if anyone has a picture of a east german La-9 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Atomicgamernl

Airman
Apr 28, 2016
If anyone has a picture of an east-german la-9 i need it for something.

If by the East German you mean a La-9 of a former DDR unit ... there weren't any ones equipped with the aircraft type. As memo serves, the Russian squadrons used them there only.

The DDR didn't have an "official" airforce until the LSK was formed in 1956. Prior to that, the interim airforce was operated under the Volkspolizei, which was a form of Police that included civil self-defense (a form of paramilitary under the administration of the Soviets).

The Volkspolizei aircraft used an insignia that was an up-ended square divided in thirds: black, red, yellow (without golden compass, hammer & wheat sheath in the center). This insignia was changed to the more familiar insignia after the formation of the LSK in 1956, which included the golden compass, hammer and wheat in the center.

The Volkspolizei had 5 La-9 aircraft that operated from 1953 until 1956.

Here is a preserved YaK-11 that was in service at the time of the La-9's service, seenon display at Berlin-Gatow with the same markings that the La-9 would have had.
255-east-german-air-force-yakovlev-yak-11_PlanespottersNet_395212.png

It would take a little deeper research materials than I have, but from I've seen from that time period, any aircraft that belonged to the Volkspolizei were predominately that dove gray overall color with the insignia pictured in the photo.

Andy, I pretty much suspected that but the Soviets would have supplied any aircraft used by East Germany so as Dave posted different insignia and color would be the only difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back