Ian Huntley?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Old MacDonald

Airman
Mar 27, 2018
Is Ian still with us? Was going through a folder tonight of camouflage articles I haven't opened in at least 25 years (it was misplaced) that contains dozens of Ian's articles on aircraft camo from pre-WW I through the '80s. I'm pretty sure the articles were published in Scale Aircraft Modelling, the excellent original modeler-centric publication that predated the later slicker but less gritty Scale Aircraft Modelling International.

To educate the younger set, Ian was the original camouflage colors expert, working at a time where not only was there no internet, only a handful of the military camo colors books had yet been published, and the only sources were official documents and correspondence with military airmen, modelers, and aero historians around the world. Even historical official documents were difficult to obtain since you had to actually visit the various museums, repositories, etc., and the only copies you could make were either photographic (as in taking an actual photograph of the document) or "photocopying" on that horrible yellow/brownish paper that turned dark brown within a couple years. Those were the days...

The man accomplished Herculean tasks in a most difficult environment, and truly got the camo colors study genre started.

My recollection is hazy, but I recall he was a young kid during the war and either an Air Cadet or some sort of Observer Corps auxiliary (?). He took copious notes at the time, including painting in his notes the colors as he perceived them at the time (water colors?). He occasionally included images of his contemporary notes in his articles, and it was easy to see that even at a very early age he was very serious about accurately recording colors and camouflage patterns, usage notes, etc.

I hope he's still with us; regardless, the man deserves to be remembered and revered as the legendary originator of serious color and camouflage research and accurate documentation.

Ol' Mac

I don't know if he is still around but I share your respect for his work. When I was researching colours for an RCAF Hurricane restoration, an article by Ian was very useful in that it compared colour swatches of Canadian paint manufacturers to the MAP colours.

cvairwerks is correct: Ian Huntley passed away in 2010. I was surprised that no one here mentioned it. He was truly a pioneer in the field and a real character according to many accounts. I still refer to his SAM columns.

Death notice for Ian D Huntley that was in The London Times on 21 July 2010.

I remember some of his articles from the Scale Aircraft Modeling magazines I used to buy when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Have doubts that the Ian D, Huntley is the same Ian Huntley who was the camouflage and markings contributor.

re
Have doubts that the Ian D, Huntley is the same Ian Huntley who was the camouflage and markings contributor.
??

From the death notice for Ian Huntley that was in The London Times on 21 July 2010.

Ian Douglas Huntley
1928-2010 (age 82)

"Keeper of aviation records and expert on the restoration of military aircraft.

Ian Huntley dedicated his life and career to the cause of aeronautical engineering, in particular the meticulous chronicling of the records of Fairey Aviation Company and the painstakingly accurate restoration of vintage aircraft. He worked as a draughtsman in Fairey's offices in Heston, Middlesex and when the firm moved on he stayed to ensure that drawings and notebooks were not thrown away. Thereafter, he became a well known - if self-effacing - freelance writer on planes as well as helping with a number of restoration projects.

He was recognised as having an encyclopaedic knowledge of vintage aviation. Over a period of time he became the unofficial but recognised custodian of Fairey Aviation's records from its formation in 1915 until its closure in the 1970s."

Last edited:
re

??

From the death notice for Ian Huntley was in The London Times on 21 July 2010.

Ian Douglas Huntley
1928-2010 (age 82)

"Keeper of aviation records and expert on the restoration of military aircraft.

Ian Huntley dedicated his life and career to the cause of aeronautical engineering, in particular the meticulous chronicling of the records of Fairey Aviation Company and the painstakingly accurate restoration of vintage aircraft. He worked as a draughtsman in Fairey's offices in Heston, Middlesex and when the firm moved on he stayed to ensure that drawings and notebooks were not thrown away. Thereafter, he became a well known - if self-effacing - freelance writer on planes as well as helping with a number of restoration projects.

He was recognised as having an encyclopaedic knowledge of vintage aviation. Over a period of time he became the unofficial but recognised custodian of Fairey Aviation's records from its formation in 1915 until its closure in the 1970s."
Thank you Thomas for confirming his details.

No problem. I remembered reading about his death back around then so I figured there would be an obituary/death notice.

I think I originally read about his death in a Scale Aircraft Modeling magazine notice/article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back