ID Brighton beach find! Large aircraft section - Luftwaffe? Engine casing? Help! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JamieUK

Recruit
Aug 14, 2022
I found this on Brighton Beach after a storm years ago. Size is about 1m (41") square. It had black, rubber-sheathed wiring running the length which has deteriorated.

I put callipers on one of the stainless nuts and it's metric so I suspect German (but could be a weird imperial size). Shot down (probably) in the English Channel near the Sussex coast it is most probably a piece of Battle of Britain salvage. I would love to identify the aircraft type.

I thought maybe the rusted mount at the front is an engine mount but it is pivoted.

I thought maybe its the landing gear housing behind the engine and the curved flange is the wing profile with the straight part sticking out on the right being a wing strut. But I can't ID it from any German bombers I have studied (or fighters!). I'm probably wrong. I've drawn a blank.

Can anyone see anything to clue me in to what section of what aircraft? Thank you.

IMG_1147.jpgIMG_1148.jpgIMG_1149.jpgIMG_1155.jpg
IMG_1151.jpgIMG_1154.jpgIMG_1156.jpgIMG_1157.jpg

Could this be an engine mount? I'm not sure due to the pivot and split pin arrangement.

IMG_1155.jpg
IMG_1147.jpg

How thick ? How many pairs?
Was maybe half inch thick. Single black cable. 2 or 3 wires inside with coloured sheaths as far as I remember.

Is the top skin stainless steel? In which case almost certainly American. The Germans had almost none.
No it's all aluminium. A few stainless nuts and looks like a small stainless plate under the 'engine mount'

I defer to those more educated than I, but is it reasonable to consider it to have been part of a V1? Based on the camber and the small section, might it be the vertical stabilizer/engine mount?
You stated that it had rubber tubes in it, the tailplane of the V1 controlled the direction of the surfaces pneumatically.

I don't know why but something about it screams HE 59 lower engine mount, and the part being considered as an engine mount would be a mount and part of strut that attaches to the float. I circled my thought in Red in the attached file. Not sure just a thought.

Attachments

• he-59.gif
    he-59.gif
    46.3 KB · Views: 38
Is the top skin stainless steel? In which case almost certainly American. The Germans had almost none.
What is that netting on the top?
How thick is it?
Could we see underneath?
Just a bit of fishing net that was attached to it. It's too heavy to dismount from the wall but when I get some help I'll photo in the inside. Various boxes and what looks like a landing gear part possibly.

I don't know why but something about it screams HE 59 lower engine mount, and the part being considered as an engine mount would be a mount and part of strut that attaches to the float. I circled my thought in Red in the attached file. Not sure just a thought.
I'll look into it... :)

I defer to those more educated than I, but is it reasonable to consider it to have been part of a V1? Based on the camber and the small section, might it be the vertical stabilizer/engine mount?
You stated that it had rubber tubes in it, the tailplane of the V1 controlled the direction of the surfaces pneumatically.
Nice idea. I'll look into V1 and V2 images. The only thing that it resembles is from a Sunderland flying boat but they would have been imperial size nuts and these I'm sure are metric.

A Fw190 came down off Brighton beach I have the Revi off it. Given it is a big piece I'd look at that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back