ID of Turkish Air Force 2 engine armed monoplane (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hardlydank

Airman 1st Class
Feb 26, 2020
San Diego
It looks like a floatplane, but it has gear and floats, meaning it's probably either amphibious or converted for land. Most likely it's German. I've looked through all the possible German planes listed on this link: List of seaplanes and amphibious aircraft - Wikipedia , but I could've missed it somehow
18e1ab941e4162a6d7dae10b9d396f72.jpg

Two a/c carried the names of the cities that donated funds for their purchase.
In service from 1926.
Were replaced by Southampton's in 1934.
"Istanbul" and "Izmir".

Ref: "Turkish Military Aircraft since 1912" by Ole Nikolajsen, published by Scramble.
There are two further pictures in the book.

I have these on the Turkish Rohrbach, but I don't know who the guys and girls are..

Bulent - Ankara Turkey

Attachments

• Rohrbach Ro.III Rodra.jpg
    Rohrbach Ro.III Rodra.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 159
  • rohrbach ro3 naimburkut42asm.JPG
    rohrbach ro3 naimburkut42asm.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 165
The writing is in Arabic, which would date the picture to 1928 or before, as after 1928 Turkish was written in the Latin alphabet.

Interesting to note that Kurt Tank was employed with Rorhbach and had a hand in these aircraft's design. They suffered structural instability of the hull and he was given the task of investigating a different hull form to better distribute the loading on the hull when it impacted the water on landing. He spent a lot of time towing models around a river in Berlin to find the best hull shape.

That didn't help matters much. The British built two under licence by the Beardmore ship builders called the Inverness and after trials the aircraft was heavily criticised as being "lousy".

Last edited:
It looks like a floatplane, but it has gear and floats, meaning it's probably either amphibious or converted for land. Most likely it's German. I've looked through all the possible German planes listed on this link: List of seaplanes and amphibious aircraft - Wikipedia , but I could've missed it somehow
View attachment 595347
I believe the wheels are part of a beaching system used to get seaplanes out of the water and onto land for maintenance and storage. They would be put into shallow water so the seaplane could be floated over them so they could be attached and the seaplane pulled up on to shore. I've seen pictures of early Catalinas that used a wheeled trolley system before they were redesigned to include retractable wheels (Wings of the Navy is a 1939 American drama film directed by Lloyd Bacon and starring Olivia de Havilland and John Payne that stars wheelless early PBYs) .

I have these on the Turkish Rohrbach, but I don't know who the guys and girls are..

Bulent - Ankara Turkey

At a guess, from left to right, the pilot of the Rorbach, his father and two sisters on a visit. Note the two other crewmen outfitted at the to right.

Uncle Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back