ID This TBF/M -1/2? Main Instrument Panel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

salutewwii

Airman
Jan 1, 2016
Decatur, AL
Hello everyone...take a look at the TBF/M panel. Trying to figure out which -1 or possibly -2 this came out of. C? D? ......many others. Several problems to start, flaps gauge is where the altimeter should be and the flaps gauge shouldn't even be in this panel... man pressure looks like it's from a -3 variant or later maybe? All my research shows this panel with the Radio Altimeter and ABY? lights and no check list gauge. Found one pic with this configuration but no gauge where the radio compass is, it was an XTBF pic. My suspicion is the only original gauges in this panel are the ASI, PDI and check list gauge/possibly directional gyro. Any help is greatly appreciated....

TBM_1.PNG

Hello everyone...take a look at the TBF/M panel. Trying to figure out which -1 or possibly -2 this came out of. C? D? ......many others. Several problems to start, flaps gauge is where the altimeter should be and the flaps gauge shouldn't even be in this panel... man pressure looks like it's from a -3 variant or later maybe? All my research shows this panel with the Radio Altimeter and ABY? lights and no check list gauge. Found one pic with this configuration but no gauge where the radio compass is, it was an XTBF pic. My suspicion is the only original gauges in this panel are the ASI, PDI and check list gauge/possibly directional gyro. Any help is greatly appreciated....

View attachment 509560
Egads, what an awkward instrument scan! Hate to have to fly this one in the soup.

XTBF.jpg
Egads, what an awkward instrument scan! Hate to have to fly this one in the soup.
I know, right? Was hoping someone had some early original photos, maybe pilot's handbook from the early versions. I've nailed down most instrument types but still can't figure out definitively what was in that far right cut out. I'll include the XTBF photo to show how this one is an exact match. Only difference is mine has no card holder.

Wow....thank you. That sheds more light on the subject. Doesn't help with the far right cut out but definitely helps in version Id. I didn't know the -1C already had the radio altimeter and range selector installed. Mine must be somewhere in between. Also, your XTBF photo and mine don't match. I can't claim the one I found is absolutely an XTBF either.....just found that while digging around, website claims it's an XTBF. I guess there could have been variations of the XTBF...... The export version (Tarpon) to the UK also shows basically the -1C panel in your photo. Thanks so much for the pics

If anyone is still interested.....the key to this is to find a panel pic with the far right gauge installed but the next to last gauge on the bottom right needs to be the check list gauge. Not the altitude limit switch. The cut outs for these are significantly different. As in Wurger's pic you could also have the "Low range radio altimeter" on the far right but this would not be correct for my panel (I think!) due to no limit switch associated with it and the obvious different cut out for the check list gauge where the limit switch would be...….
More info just in case someone comes across anything......thanks to everyone.

TBF[1].jpg
Here is my panel as it sits now. Replacement (incorrect) knob on the check list gauge. I'll never find a replacement more than likely. Everything else should be 100% correct so far. All Navy gauges as well.

That ASI only goes to 180 kts?

No, it's a 430. Two rotation ASI. These came in red face (extremely rare, I've only seen 4 in my lifetime and I have two of them, not bragging, just sayin'.) and standard black.

And thanks A4K, your photos are a -3, so doesn't help me much but great info and thank you very much. I'm still thinking it's a prototype panel.....just can't prove it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back