Thanks for the clarification on the nomenclature of the M1903A4 and the M1903A1-- I infer that as far as gas operated semi-auto rifles and those that can fire in full automatic mode- The BAR and the M-14 with selector switch installed- the exposed mechanism of the Garand could be factor in harsh weather conditions- Not "apples to oranges" but aren't BA rifles, such as The Mauser, Enfield and Springfield series used in WW1 and WW11 have somewhat exposed breech mechanism-especially when the bolt is cycled reward??
Somebody-, with combat experience and being familiar with the Garand once commented that many soldiers carried 2 toothbrushes in their field packs, one for the obvious, the other for removing the mud and debris from the breech of their Garand rifle.
As far as scopes, I have a Unertl scope on a BSA single shot drop lever action target barreled .22LR- heavy, 26" barrel, full target stock, but deadly on woodchucks out to 75 yards with the proper loads. Also a great squirrel rifle, if you are sitting down and can find a field rest for the forearm. Sweet trigger, no designed safety lever, you have to drop down the lever to set it on "safe"--
Hello Hansie Bloeckmann,
The only real difference between the M1903 and M1903A1 is that the M1903A1 has a full pistol grip stock while the M1903 has a straight stock. Later 03s had a stock with a very rounded off pistol grip called a "scant" stock. Personally I think those are kind of ugly.
The M1903A4 was not really an ideal sniper rifle.
The action was the same as the M1903A3 which I believe was nickel steel and a bit "gummy" in operation. It can be cycled fast, but doesn't feel as smooth as earlier guns. As mentioned before, the optics are poor. I believe that the two groove barrels were the standard when the 03A4 was in production. This was intended as a simplification to speed manufacturing. The 2 groove barrels were supposedly less accurate than the regular 4 groove barrels. (The same thing was done to some No.4 Mk.I and Mk.I* rifles produced in North America by Savage and Long Branch.) I have shot similar rifles in 2 groove and 4/5 groove and can't tell the difference but maybe a better marksman could.
Regarding the M1 / M14 exposed mechanisms:
Every gun is vulnerable to dirt and foreign matter in certain places as you know. Even the "reliable" revolver can get hung up by just a few grains of unburned powder under the extractor star. Some self loaders try to address this by putting a larger gas port to increase the power to the gas system. There is also the idea that a very heavy bolt carrier mass in relation to bolt mass will improve reliability.
The AK-47 uses both these features. I believe that the M1 / M14 uses neither.
The biggest problem was that a prolonged rain would wash the grease out from between the operating rod and bolt. This would cause the bolt to bind and gall and not cycle semi automatically. This was partially addressed during the war by improved lubricants such as Lubriplate (130 ?) grease that would resist being washed away by rain. The consistency is about the same as automotive wheel bearing grease.
The situation was improved yet again by adding a roller to the bolt where it is cammed open and closed by the Operating Rod. Although the situation was improved, it was not eliminated.
I believe that the big advantage in reliability with bolt actions is that manual operation allows a lot more force to open and close the action if it is not operating smoothly.
Is that BSA .22 on a Martini action? We had something like that at the range when I was in college. It was a personal gun so I never had a chance to try it out.
Hello The Basket,
I believe that Shortround6 is giving you a pretty good summary of what the Evan Marshall statistics are about.
It is hard to dispute the data that has been recorded. As I commented earlier, not everyone comes to the same conclusion based on this data or even accepts the data as being entirely representative of all factors.
For Example, Does the lack of inclusion of multiple hits skew the data against certain calibers?
As a medical person, you know that it matters where the target gets hit, but as the person holding the pistol, can you really tell what organ you are shooting at or what you actually hit? All you really know is that the target was moving around and you fired one shot and hit 'em in the torso and either the target fell down or didn't. It would be really cool if we were great marksmen and the targets were cooperative enough to stand still and let us choose where to shoot, but such is not reality.
Marshall's statistics are an extensive summary of shootings of this type along with the equipment used and the outcomes.
It may not be perfect information but it is the best information we currently have.
You need to determine whether the information is useful to you or whether you would prefer to go with something else.
- Ivan.