Identification of Soviet airfield trucks (mostly tankers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

elbmc1969

Senior Airman
Feb 16, 2019
Can anyone identify the various Soviet airfield vehicles in this photo? Model and sub-model, if possible.

If you have a good date for the photo, or information that narrows down the date, we will appreciate it.

unnamed.jpg

Unfortunately the pic is not of too great quality. But.... the foreground vehicle is a BZ-35 refueling truck on the ZiS-6 chassis. The one on front of the BZ-35 is a BZ-38 on the GAZ-AAA chassis. The two next vehicles in front of the BZ-38 don't seem to be the refueling vehicles but the fire trucks PMZ-40 on the ZiS-5 chassis. The two last ones in the background , still going clockwise, seem to be the BZ-39 or 40 refueling truck on the ZiS-5 chassis IMHO.

Do you have a link to information on the PMZ-40? I can't find any information about it. The rear of the two trucks seem to be different--one has a box mounted low. I thought that they might be VMZ-40 and VMZ-43 oil-water filler trucks.

I think I was confused by the caption of a drawing sheet that stated that it is the PZM-40 and PZM-43 fire truck. The profile there looks exactly the same like for the VMZ-40 and 43. The two vehicles in the pic can be the VMZ trucks but the VMZ-40 is more likely than the VMZ-43. The VMZ-43 had a big tube on the roof that was a folding chimney. Also there were two quite large hatches and big boxes on sides of the truck. Contrary to that the VMZ-40 had two small hatches and a small folding chimney and no side boxes. The box ( it was a cover/container rather ) at the low back of the second vehicle could be dismounted or just lost for some reason. So taking all that into consideration I would say that the VMZ-40 oil-water filler truck fits better to both of the vehicles there.

Here the missleading drawing..

zis_5_fire_truck-86721.jpg

and here the VMZ-40 without the box at the back ...
vzm-40.jpg

You're clearly correct that it's not a VMZ-43. However, the box on the back of the VMZ-40 doesn't seem to have been particularly detachable. It was storage for the nozzles, so I'd think it was pretty important. Of course, if the box is crushed in a low-speed crash, you just figure out some place to put the nozzles.

I see. But the box was a piece of a steel plate and it was just a cover for valves you could connect the refilling hoses to.. What is more the cover could be or not. Believe me it wasn't important for Russians at all. As a former military who worked with the VVS regiments I saw enough to be sure of that.

Here is an example... damaged VMZ-34 with the cover and without ...

ВМЗ-34_b.jpg
ВМЗ-34_a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back