Identify aircraft and part

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nearnexus

Recruit
May 15, 2012
Found this aircraft access hatch in the workshop and wondering what it was used for and maybe what aircraft it came off of. See photos in link below.

info

Markings are E191316-2 and R/84 and N 21 0

Flush rivetting.

Was from a WW2 aircraft wreck in Northern Terrirory of Australia. My father was stationed up there and it was with stuff he brought back when returned after 1945 end of war.

So it's going to be from an allied aircaft most probably, of any type. I've also got a section of aircaft wing skin with some what look like air vents in them which you can see in the bottom image, which is most probably the same aircraft.

So together they may give a clue as to what this is off of.

:?:

Rob

Well I managed to track down the aircraft it came off of.

It is an access flap for the upper wing surface of a supermarine spitfire. It is situated on both wing surfaces between the flaps and the fuselage.

See images below.

Photos: Supermarine 365 Spitfire PR11 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Photos: Supermarine 361 Spitfire HF9E Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

I had a suspicion it was from a spitfire as it has the classic spitfire flush/recessed rivets attaching it to the metal skin.

Any idea what it is used to access in that position?

Rob

Yes I think it's something for flap maintenance. It has a lock screw so it's for service work only.

Rob

Tried to find something on the net for you, but no joy.

I agree the shape is very similar to the Spitty panel, but the if you look closely the spitty panel has a hinge on the inboard edges, whereas yours is at the trailing edge.
This may possibly just be a manufacturing detail (ie different factory, different method), but will try to find out for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back