Identify this airplane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dec 10, 2016
Can anyone identify this airplane? My uncle is the pilot and flew for the Royal Canadian Airforce and was later killed flying a B-26 for the Army Air Corp. in 1943.

Attachments

• plane.png
    plane.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 269
The image is Interesting because the aircraft doesn't appear to be wearing upper wing roundels and the centre section of the canopy has been painted over. Great photo!

It is certainly not from an operational squadron and I would be surprised if it was operating in the UK looking like that. Maybe the original poster knows when and where the photo was taken? I assume it is in Canada. Eleven bombing and gunnery schools under all four Training Commands established in Canada under the Commonwealth Air Training Plan operated Battles.

The fuselage roundel looks like a standard 'A1' type and is in the correct position, why the roundels are missing from the wings is anyone's guess..

It looks like the serial number has been obscured, which makes me wonder if this image has passed through the hands of a censor. It's very annoying as it makes it virtually impossible to identify the aircraft and its history.

Cheers

Steve

Since the OP said the pilot was his uncle, and that his uncle trained in Canada, I think it's a fair assumption this is a training aircraft of the RCAF.

I agree with Steve's comments about the serial number. There's also something funky going on with the camouflage on the tailcone and fin/rudder.

There's also something funky going on with the camouflage on the tailcone and fin/rudder.

It should look like this, from a copy the original Fairey Aviation drawings for the A scheme camouflage pattern, originally dated 3/8/1937 but still in use many years later. The copy I have is dated as traced on 24/1/1949!!

Battle_Tail.jpg

There has been a substantial re-paint of the area, including the rudder, probably the result of a repair.

What we call A1 roundels are stipulated on the next drawing (plan view) and do appear on the fuselage of the Battle in the original photo, though not for some reason on the wings.

battle-markings.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
I would hazard that the repair to the Cat. 2 damage is reflected in the re-paint around the rear fuselage/rudder.

It would be the Canadians that over-painted the original serial number, it was not obscured by the censor.

K9265 was an ex-103 squadron (RAF) aircraft. It was an early example from the second production batch, delivered to the RAF in 1938 and early 1939. Whether it was one of those sent to France with 103 squadron and the Advanced Air Striking Force would require some investigation. Given the date of its arrival in Canada it was one of those released when the squadron, now part of 1 Group Bomber Command, converted to Wellingtons.

Cheers

Steve

thanks for the responses I now wonder whether my family history is wrong maybe my uncle sent theis home as an example of what he was flying he joined the rcaf but by the time he had trained the us was in the war he then flew for the ferry command and was killed transporting a B-26 is name was James Cunningham we are all very proud of his service

Mike do you have your uncle's log book? The a/c he flew in should be noted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back