If no P-51, how would the P-40 have evolved?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Actually you can run 110 octane in it. It will lead foul the plugs quicker and perhaps build up more deposits on the exhaust valves and valve seats but 110 octane ( or PN) fuel has NO MORE BTU's per gallon than 100 octane or 91 octane or 87 octane gasoline. Note gasoline and not 90/10 or 85/15 gasoline/ethanol.

It just won't give any more power either unless you change something on the engine.

110 octane fuel ALLOWS you to build an engine with higher compression or boost and get more power without suffering from detonation.

if thats the case they could run 100LL ( low lead ).... and actually i have known a couple guys ( in the mid 70s..early 80s ) who blew engines on avgas. you will also burn valves, and suffer other problems with its use..

lead fouling was a problem back in ww2. i do not know the ratio of hours to change out for normal plugs but when pilots ran thier engines extremely hard for a long period of time they would tell their crew chiefs to check the plugs or put new ones in.

I drove a Boss 302 with Aviation fuel in it when the leaded premium disappeared.
Ran just fine and was cheaper than adding Moroso power booster.

The mechanic at the airport said I should run a two to one mix, unleaded to leaded, or there abouts, as that would save money and on the street was all it really needed.
So I would go out about once every two or three weeks and top off what ever amount was in the tank with aviation gasoline.

He used to fill it up for me but the airport authority said he should not be doing that so after a while all he could do was turn the pump on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back