If you were a pilot in ww2 which plane would you want to fly

What plane woul you want to use going into combat

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd wager it would depend on what they transitioned from.

If Spitfires, well...

I think a Tiffy pilot would be more interesting considering it's more of a contemporary/compatible aircraft.

".... I think a Tiffy pilot would be more interesting considering it's more of a contemporary/compatible aircraft."
now there's a question worth examining ...
"If you were a fighter-bomber pilot during WW2 would you rather fly a Jug or a Typhoon? European theater.

Going from fading memory you were more likely to make it home safely flying a Typhoon than a P47, though the difference was pretty small. I believe it was something to do with the Typhoon had all its radiator, oil and engine in a small compact block giving a smaller more easily armoured target. The P47 had a bit more plumbing spread out along the fuselage possibly making a bigger target.

There's several cases where the P-47 had portions of it's engine shot away and they still flew back across the channel.
There was even one P-47 that flew through an Olive orchard after strafing German positions in Italy. The pilot managed to keep it under control and flew over 100 miles back to base - with damaged wings, engine cowling and all four props bent back.

I am sure there's lots of anecdotes of P47s returning with bits missing but it's like a boxer better not to be hit in the first place. I don't know the exact figures but more pilots made it back intact per sortie flying a Typhoon which is the important bit.

From the forum's "Tree Trimming" thread.

This particular P-47 struck a chimney and still made it safely back to base.
Granted, it's not flak or 30mm cannon-fire, but still pretty impressive.

Looks like I am the only one to choose the B25. It is the family's favorite. For all arounf fighter, I would grab the P47. I met a man that flew P47s and then A36s. He shot down 2 planes but many close air support missions. He perfered the flying characterists of the A36 to the firepower od the P47.

Users who are viewing this thread