Indentification of aircraft part found on Norfolk beach (UK).

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It might be helpful if you could identify the beach where the relic was found. There were not too many German aircraft brought down over/off there and I can look at possible candidates.
Hi BC1
The beach concerned was between Salthouse and Weybourne on the North Norfolk Coast. The 2 main wrecks up there are a Heinkel HE111 near Cley Next the Sea and a Ju88 nearer to Sheringham as I only found this piece this last Saturday (17 Oct) I would doubt it was either of these. I am very intrigued by this piece as it is the largest bit I have found, the others are too small to identify. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I would ask firstly where are the rivets if it was from aircraft. Even if the plane would be crashed there were remained rivets, at least a couple of them.,.
There are rivet holes but no rivet heads, this piece has been washed around for some time.

So the rivets must have been of the sugar.
Strange. It is first time I see a such part without rivets even if a plane was crashed and fell apart entirely.

No markings on top of the fastener? Sometimes they are marked.
Sadly no, there is very little to go on. I've just got a book of pictures of cutaway WW2 aircraft and the only one with corrugations like mine is a Whitley bomber! The plot thickens.

Last edited:
I must agree. If it is from a plane it would be from interior rather than used as metal skin.

Is the metal you found steel or aluminium ?

So the rivets must have been of the sugar.
Strange. It is first time I see a such part without rivets even if a plane was crashed and fell apart entirely.

I have found some British rivets corrode badly and you can flip the rivet head off with your finger nail. Not seen that on American rivets and I have absolutely zero experience of Continental rivets from ww2

I have found some British rivets corrode badly and you can flip the rivet head off with your finger nail. Not seen that on American rivets and I have absolutely zero experience of Continental rivets from ww2
That`s sounds helpful as the only rivet on there has no head and the shank that is left behind is badly corroded, thanks for the post!

Users who are viewing this thread