Info About 2,000-bomber Raid, Dec. 24, 1944 (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Being pedantic, I don't think the term "copy" was used in WW2, rather the word "affirmative" was what I remember reading in the books published after the war. I can't remember the term being used in the1950s. I believe it came from the Vietnam era. Other older members may remember better.
Wait—so they'd say "Affirmative that"? It sounds almost too long—they must have had some kind of shortener or code word . . .

I'll drag out some old paperbacks and look.
Remember the old "roger" and "wilco" from the 1930s. "Roger" meant "copy that" and "wilco" was "will comply". "affirmative" (without 'that') merely meant message received and understood.

Last edited:
I'll drag out some old paperbacks and look.
Remember the old "roger" and "wilco" from the 1930s. "Roger" meant "copy that" and "wilco" was "will comply". "affirmative" (without 'that') merely meant message received and understood.
Yes, I definitely remember those. It seems just too cheesy now—too many WWII movies—but "roger" is nice and short, like "copy," plus it can be appended by "that." Heh . . . I can just do a search and replace. But I'll wait for your decision. It's just that I would think that anything long—three syllables or more—would inevitably get shortened by these impatient guys.

*Sigh* Anyone know the actual physical location of the navigation beacon that lots of bombers used, called Buncher 6? I know the location of Splasher Beacon 6 (some village—I have it somewhere) but I need the Buncher location to figure out how far it was from Rackheath. Details, details . . . I swear, this thing will be the end of me.

Oh . . . I forgot to mention that this won't be for publication (unless some publisher gives me $50,000 in advance) but just for family and friends. And you guys!

Kaibutsu! アレ?日本人なんでしょうか? Facebook . . . sadly, I created an account long ago with an alias (no sense in giving Zuckerberg anything more than I have to) that's stupid name—Durknit Pentex—that I made up at the time.

So when I joined that very group and tried to explain my alias, and that I was really Nick Robinson, father flew in the 467th, I was roundly ignored. They don't do that in Colonel Shower's outfit!

I used to know Andy Wilkinson back in the day, but an expert would likely go through my pathetic narrative and slash it to ribbons. ("Squadron Leader was NOT the Conley Crew! Are you deficient?")

Still, since I actually belong to that group, I might try again . . . "Umm, Durknit here . . . might you gentlemen know the thickness in angstroms of the nosewheel outer skin?"

Thanks, Kaibutsu!! It's worth a try.

Nick
いいえ、私は日本人ではありません。
これは私のスクリーンネームです。
頑張ってください!

いいえ、私は日本人ではありません。
これは私のスクリーンネームです。
頑張ってください!
ハハハハハハハハハハ!!! 素晴らしい!

Good enough, アンドリュー!

—Nick

Users who are viewing this thread