Inside a Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

how annoying it wont load anything but a tiny section of the pictures, ah well, back to my stills it is :jerk:

You can see the difference between a daytime and nightime version

I have to claim ignorance that I did not realize that the Lancaster only had one position for the flight controls. I guess I never thought about it having anything other than a more modern side by side seating arrangement for pilot and copilot.

yes there is good all around visibility in a lanc, and the single pilot controls (although easily adapted to take a second set of controls) were one of the drawbacks picked up on by those fighting for the B-24 and B-17s in our now infamous lanc vs. american bombers debates.............

how do you mean?

If you note on a nighttime lancaster there's a cowling over the instrument panel so as to minimise the light from the small instrument lamps leaking out of the cockpit...

On a daytime lancaster that cowling simply isn't there..

So you can see one is fitted out for as a daytime bomber the other is a nighttime bomber.

Simon

If you note on a nighttime lancaster there's a cowling over the instrument panel so as to minimise the light from the small instrument lamps leaking out of the cockpit...

On a daytime lancaster that cowling simply isn't there..

So you can see one is fitted out for as a daytime bomber the other is a nighttime bomber.

Simon

ah, well i couldn't load one of them so there's my problem :lol:

try again, as it's got better for me over the last few days, maybe it was some problem at their end..

The first day all I could get was the initial picture with no rotation, now I have full rotation.

Simon

Strangley enough a night time bomber usualy has the overhead wires for the shade cloth removed from the canopy.

I will now walk away and get the pliers to prise my tongue away.

Ah but that bomber is from the BBMF... and although fitted out as a nighttime bomber is in fact only flown during the day..

The other bomber is a static display.

Simon

For years I wondered what the attraction was for this aircraft, but I now
admit, having learned more and widened my scope, to a real admiration
for the Lancaster. I would absolutely love to feel (and hear) four Merlins
vibrating through the throttles, and trundling off into the blue under that
massive greenhouse...I am clearly getting older and more sentimental.:confused:

yes seen this a couple of times.. wait till ive got my own.,... he he he he

Users who are viewing this thread

Back