Inside a Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have to claim ignorance that I did not realize that the Lancaster only had one position for the flight controls. I guess I never thought about it having anything other than a more modern side by side seating arrangement for pilot and copilot.

yes there is good all around visibility in a lanc, and the single pilot controls (although easily adapted to take a second set of controls) were one of the drawbacks picked up on by those fighting for the B-24 and B-17s in our now infamous lanc vs. american bombers debates.............

how do you mean?

If you note on a nighttime lancaster there's a cowling over the instrument panel so as to minimise the light from the small instrument lamps leaking out of the cockpit...

On a daytime lancaster that cowling simply isn't there..

So you can see one is fitted out for as a daytime bomber the other is a nighttime bomber.

Simon

ah, well i couldn't load one of them so there's my problem

try again, as it's got better for me over the last few days, maybe it was some problem at their end..

The first day all I could get was the initial picture with no rotation, now I have full rotation.

Simon

Strangley enough a night time bomber usualy has the overhead wires for the shade cloth removed from the canopy.

I will now walk away and get the pliers to prise my tongue away.

Ah but that bomber is from the BBMF... and although fitted out as a nighttime bomber is in fact only flown during the day..

The other bomber is a static display.

Simon

For years I wondered what the attraction was for this aircraft, but I now
admit, having learned more and widened my scope, to a real admiration
for the Lancaster. I would absolutely love to feel (and hear) four Merlins
vibrating through the throttles, and trundling off into the blue under that
massive greenhouse...I am clearly getting older and more sentimental.

Users who are viewing this thread