Interesting USAAF Costs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OldSkeptic

Senior Airman
May 17, 2010
Got this from somewhere ages ago (didn't save the link unfortunately).

Costs of the various USAAF planes:

Warbird prices.jpg

The P-80 was a jet, totally new technology, i'm still surprised.
I'm sure you mean single engine, not single seat. The P-38 was a single seat, and more expensive.

Not by much. Subtract cost for second engine and P-38 would have been less expensive then P-47.

Jumo 004B engine was inexpensive compared to piston engines. So I'm not surprised early U.S. jet engines were also inexpensive.

The Jumo 004B was restricted from using some of the stategic metals that the allies had no critical shorthage of. Those metals were expensive, so the allied jet engines didn't necessarily come out being so cheap.

P-51 was a bargain. What caught my eye was the price difference between the C-46 and C-47 for 2 aircraft that were fairly similar thats a whopping difference.

"... the price difference between the C-46 and C-47 for 2 aircraft that were fairly similar ..."

The C-46 fuselage has that hourglass cross section that was intended for pressurization as a passenger liner ... though not built that way as the C-46, IIRC.

Might account for some of the differences. Look at the A-20 (Boston) against the A-26 Invader.

MM

The Jumo 004B was restricted from using some of the stategic metals that the allies had no critical shorthage of. Those metals were expensive, so the allied jet engines didn't necessarily come out being so cheap.

I don't think that is the correct summary.
The Jumo 004B was developed, because some alloys of the Jumo 004A couldn't be mass produced through material shortages, but this implys not it was cheaper then the Jumo 004A.
In general a Jet engine is much less complicated then a high performance piston engine.

Last edited:
Thanks Shortround, also, do you know why the prices went down as the years went by? E.g. The P-40 was 60 grand in 1940, and it was 45 grand in 1945.

I don't think that is the correct summary.
The Jumo 004B was developed, because some alloys of the Jumo 004A couldn't be mass produced through material shortages, but this implys not it was cheaper then the Jumo 004A.
In general a Jet engine is much less complicated then a high performance piston engine.
True, a jet engine is less complicated. But the output turbine does require some expensive high temperature alloys, and both input and output turbines require a very fine balance because of the high rpm's envolved. ( some approaching 11,000 rpm verses 3,000 on piston engines) Cheap out on any of those and you have a very short lived engine.

The workers got better at assembling the same thing, figured out short cuts, and/or new tooling was designed/developed that cut hours from production. The Initial tooling is paid off by the first contracts (as are any plant expansions paid for by the company and not the government). Lighting and heating cost about the same if you are making 65 planes a month or 200 so faster production is cheaper that way.
Large production runs and/or follow up runs are almost always cheaper than the first runs per item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back