Interesting USAAF night fighters project at MAAM (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just received notification from Amazon that BH's book is in the post, woohoo. And this morning I received "Gentlemen in Blue: 600 Squadron" by Hans Onderwater. So it looks like I'm going to have a Beau-fest over the next couple of weeks.

Sad that it seems that Australia has more respect for the dead of combat than Britain and the US. Sad state of affairs that the IWM and other museums aren't doing their bit to lobby for a better deal.

Sad that it seems that Australia has more respect for the dead of combat than Britain and the US. Sad state of affairs that the IWM and other museums aren't doing their bit to lobby for a better deal.

What the **** are you talking about! Healz you make a lot of posts that show that you have no education at all on certain matters! Please do some reading and learn about things before you go posting a million posts a day just to build up your post count!

If you read the posts you would have seen that the US celebrates Memorial Day. A bit of reading for you to do. You could have done so yourself...

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday that is observed on the last Monday of May (observed this year on 2007-05-28). It was formerly known as Decoration Day. This holiday commemorates U.S. men and women who have died in military service to their country.

Many people observe this holiday by visiting cemeteries and memorials. A national moment of remembrance takes place at 3 pm Washington time. Another tradition is to fly the U.S. Flag at half-staff from dawn until noon local time. Volunteers place a U.S. Flag upon each grave site located in a National Cemetery.

Next we also celebrate Veterans Day.

Veterans Day is an American holiday honoring war veterans. Both a federal holiday and a state holiday in all states, it is celebrated on the same day as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in other parts of the world, falling on November 11, the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)

The day has since evolved to honor living veterans who have served in the military during wartime or peacetime, partially to complement Memorial Day, which primarily honors the dead. A person's veteran status is sometimes disputed depending on their retirement or discharge from the armed forces. However, the term applies to any that have honorably served their country or that have served in a war zone as directed by their superior officers or as directed by lawful orders given by their country.

Also we have some of the most beautiful monuments dedicated to our war dead.

Vietnam Memorial

dc0792ejpgmsg659C4855-74BE-4FA0-ABE.jpg

You see all those names below. Thats the names and dates that every known soldier who died in Vietnam on that wall. Walk up to that wall and look at those names and tell us we dont care about our fallen soldiers.

DCEaster042.jpg

DCEaster043.jpg

DSC01819.jpg

WW2 Memorial

n33400464_30404788_8070.gif

000_0027.jpg

65076bac.jpg

HalliesPics124.jpg

24fb4108.jpg

Do you see these Stars Healz? There is one for every US soldier killed in WW2.

WW2 Memorial Wall image, picture by Godssnwbrdr - Photobucket

Arlington National Cemetary

IMG_1630.jpg

Washington1.gif

IMG_0674.gif

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Do you know how long that tomb is guarded? 24 hours a day 7 days a week, all holidays rain or shine!

Heatherstrip111.gif

unknownsoldier.gif

D-20.jpg

2006_0617lastweekofschool0073.jpg

Healz the remembrance of our fallen soldiers is a very sore subject for me. Maybe it is because I served in our armed forces and I have had friends who have fallen serving our country.

So please do me a favor, before making a stupid comment like that, learn your facts, educate yourself. It makes you look less stupid.

I guess then it's just the UK that doesn't honour it's war dead...

I mean we all buy poppies and wear them for the week before November 11th, well a large portion of us do..

Ok it's only a couple of quid, a pound each for all of us in my family, but I bet if you add it up it's no small figure...

Taking a day off work.. shouldn't be the bench mark for respecting the dead, I always have a chat to the guys at my local memorial, as I walk through the park and up into Heanor, I tell them how I'm getting on and such... they may be dead but it don't mean they should be ignored for 364 days of the year.

I guess we're just all different and do it differently..

Simon

Reminder that MAAM is holding a night fighters reunion/oral history recording session at their facility the week of September 17-20.

Also expected to display their recovered/restored P-61.

I'll be there as a volunteer, anyone else going?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a good day for me. Latest issue of FlyPast has a very positive review of my book on US Beaufighters!

I wish ! Brick will there be a film crew for possible dvd for sale on this special event ?? The Mrs will be in Tennessee and I am stuck taking care of family matters

Erich ~

Unknown about DVDs, etc. If I find out before I go, I'll post the details.

And will definitely post once I get back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back