Interesting USAAF night fighters project at MAAM

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Would just like to say that this shameless plug of a new book will probably annoy my bank manager - yet another item on my overdraft :lol:

Just ordered it from Amazon - well, I'll read anything with Beaufighter in the title :D

BTW, a chap on another forum was asking after KW197 so I plugged your book to him as well. Do I get some of the royalties on that sale?

BTW, a chap on another forum was asking after KW197 so I plugged your book to him as well. Do I get some of the royalties on that sale?

First round will be on me, how's that?

Will be interested in your opinion whether positive or negative once you've read it.

Thanks!

Lovely - I'll have a pint of gin please!

Will let you know re. book - but will take a while as I ordered it together with another (with a delivery time of approx 4 weeks).

Therefore I would imagine that if though there were large numbers of pilots involved, that there would be whole squadrons that have totally disappeared, swallowed up by time.

Sadly, very true. Three of the gents I interviewed for my book died between then (2005) and now.

Did a magazine story on an RCAF Beau pilot. He's just about the last of his unit, 177 Sq RAF, left. They have stopped doing annual reunions and the organization is gone.

Salute to them all.

Did a magazine story on an RCAF Beau pilot. He's just about the last of his unit, 177 Sq RAF, left.

Who was the pilot and where was the article published? Would love to get a copy as I'm a big fan of the Beau - both Silently into the Midst of Things and Beaufighters over Burma are excellent books.

My 177 Sq guy was the author of Silently into the Midst of Things.

Very nice gentleman.

Article appeared in several years ago in FlyPast; September 2004 issue.

Here's one I did subsequently that featured his observer who died last year.

BEAUS IN BURMA

177 Squadron was born and died a wartime creation. Initially envisioned as a nightfigther squadron for the defense of Calcutta, its mission was changed before any crews or aircraft were assigned to it. Instead, it became one of the unsung strike squadrons fighting the forgotten war in Burma.
As the observer to Beau pilot A. Sutherland Brown, 'Alf' Aldham was a RAF sergeant who 'crewed up' with Brown while at an advanced OTU, No 2(C) near Catfoss, Yorkshire. A slim, reserved Englishman, Alf served as the navigator, wireless operator, rear gunner, and second set of eyes for the Beaufighter. He quickly established himself as a good navigator and cool presence in the deadly game of war.
Before he got into the game, he was shipped to Canada to complete the navigator's course. He recalls leaving the troopship from England, the Queen Mary, and stepping into New York City.
"After blacked out and rationed England, it was like wonderland. Bright lights, shops stacked with food and goodies. An eye-opener for a man who had never left the UK before. I spent nearly all my money on parcels sent back to my Mom and Dad.
"I flew my training at Mount Hope Air Base, near Hamilton, Ontario. I finished up there and was promoted to Sergeant before heading back to England and eventually meeting 'Soggy' at OTU."
Following OTU, the pair waited impatiently for an aircraft to be delivered so they could ferry it to an operational theater and a posting to a squadron. During the wait, they sometimes flew as passengers during glider training flights at a nearby glider pilot training base.
Their idyll ended finally when they picked up aircraft LX996 from the Bristol factory and commenced some intensive navigation exercises. They would need to really sharpen their skills if they were to survive the upcoming journey. On August 23, 1943 they were instructed to fly the new aircraft from the UK to India. Once there, they would be assigned within the India Command.
Aldham navigated the Beau from England, across the Ju 88-infested Bay of Biscay, to Fez, Morocco. From there, he plotted a course to Tripoli, Cairo, Baghdad, Bahrain, and finally to Karachi, India. The entire trip took six days. They delivered the Beaufighter and expected to accompany it to a squadron. The Beau went, they didn't.
Instead, Aldham and Brown were assigned to a manpower pool and waited for three months. Finally, they were assigned to a unit, but to a Communications Squadron!
Brown flew various aircraft as a ferry pilot and courier while Aldham performed somewhat different duties. He served as aircraft navigator to the famous Brigadier Charles 'Ord' Wingate during that individual's training for his second foray against the Japanese. Aldham remembers, "He was as strange a bird as his reputation suggested. Also, the man really was not in good health." Wingate subsequently died in an aircraft accident but Alf was not on board that flight.
Finally, in March 1944 the crew was posted to 177 Squadron at Feni airfield at the eastern border of India, close to Burma. Shortly after arriving, Aldham took sick and was removed from operations before he'd even started. After recovering, he was sent to a jungle survival course. After returning from that very unpleasant experience in May, when asked by his pilot "How was it?" Aldham pithily replied, "If we come down in the jungle, I'll shoot you to save you all that trouble!"
Also at 177 Squadron was wireless mechanic W.E. 'Ted Bellingham. His experiences of life at the squadron differ somewhat from the aircrew but are inextricably linked to the Beaufighter. He recalls, for example, one occasion when the 'C in C' of the entire South East Asia Command (SEAC), Lord Louis Mountbatten was inspecting the squadron at a formation. "Some aircraft returning from ops entered the pattern while the VIP was inspecting and without a word, the ground crew for the returning aircraft left formation and raced to recover 'their' airplanes! Such was the morale and pride in the squadron."
Bellingham also relates a humorous in hindsight story about Beau maintenance, "I was sitting in a 3-tonner MT (motor transport truck) parked in front of a Beaufighter parked at dispersal. I was reading a copy of "Beano" when an armourer, busy removing the Beau's cannons after an op, removed the seer, causing the cannon to 'run away.' A hail of shells, including incendiaries, cleared the top of the 3-tonner by inches. The result was a very frightened MT driver!"
Aldham and Brown flew almost constantly until December 1944. Brown tour expired before Alf did and returned to the UK and eventually Canada. Alf finished his combat tour with four more sorties with another pilot but says now they must have been tame because he can't recall them now.
After 177 Squadron, Alf was posted again to the previously mentioned Communications Squadron. This time, he was sometimes the navigator for Lord Mountbatten's personal aircraft.
"Quite different from ops, we had to wear a clean shirt and line up before the Supremo left the plane," Alf recalls.
Returning to England, he left the RAF. He attends the frequent 177 reunions where it is remarked on his steadfast refusal to fly in any aircraft, anywhere, anytime ever since India!

Good story Brick. Talking about Beau's, I just picked up a copy of the following book yesterday. Looks like an interesting read.

Attachments

• 1a6c_2.jpg
    1a6c_2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 82
Who's the author of 'Touched by War?' Can't make it out and would like to get a copy.

Have you read 'Coomalie(sp?) Charlie's Commandos?' Or 'Fighter Nights?' Both excellent RAAF Beau books.

Perhaps partially off topic but I had an adopted grandmother who worked on the Spitfires in WWII. (My reference to her as I never did have an actual grandmother and she was a great family friend.) Unfortunately she is dead now but she did say that one of the sad things was knowing that in some cases, the brave young men whose plane instruments you were working on had a chance of not coming back. She died back a while ago. She would have been about 76-80 when she died. So I would like to just give a salute to all those brave pilots that never returned. And on Wednesday (25 April) it is ANZAC Day here in Australia. Our national day of commeration for all those that died in war.

A big 'thank you' to the Australians and New Zealanders who served.

For what it's worth, there is an ANZAC corridor in the Pentagon with many displays and bits of history from WWI to Vietnam.

I didn't know that. I am glad that our heritage is honoured by the Americans. My Grandfather, Da served in the American Small Ships Division during WW2 and before that he was a Patrol Officer for the Australian Government in Papua New Guinea. I also think he might have been a Patrol Officer for a little while after the war as well... Sadly this is a group that you don't hear too much about, even though they were vital in supplying the Allies with troops, food, arms and other things as well as evacuating wounded up until about 1943.

Who's the author of 'Touched by War?' Can't make it out and would like to get a copy.

Have you read 'Coomalie(sp?) Charlie's Commandos?' Or 'Fighter Nights?' Both excellent RAAF Beau books.

Brick, "Touched By War" is written by Lisa Mariah, published by Australian Military History Publications, ISBN: 1 876439 68 8. I haven't read it yet, but it's the memoirs of F/Lt Raynor Barber who flew with 30sqn RAAF in New Guinea and Morotai.

I haven't read the two books mentioned simply because they seem to be impossible to get hold of! I once saw Coomalie Charlies Commandoes go for over $100 on e-bay!! "Fighter Nights" is anyother book I've been trying to hunt down. Incidently I'm reading "Chasing Shadows" which is a biography of Aussie Night Fighter ace Bob Cowper. Bob scored two kills flying Beaufighters out of Malta before being transferred to 456sqn in England where he added 4 more e/a and a V-1 to his tally (flying Mossies). See my other thread http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/night-fighter-ace-i-met-7697.html
One book I can recommend is "Whispering Death" by Neville Parnell which is about the RAAF Beaufighter sqaudrons in the Pacific. Excellent book, if again you can get your hands on it.

Had my official book launching party last night. One of the guests was an R/O from the 414th NFS. Still spry, still articulate, put away a couple of beers, he had the first US Beau victory (he and his pilot).

Quite a guy.

Not sure if you are asking if the US celebrates ANZAC Day or a day in rememberance of US veterans?

If the former, no, nothing official.

If the latter, we have Memorial Day at the end of May. Although celebrated with parades, ceremonies in some places, it is fading from the nation's memory, in my opinion into just a day off.

The Old Guard, US Army ceremonial unit, places small US flags on each grave at Arlington National Cemetary on Memorial Day. It is a sobering sight to see.
Veterans groups and Boy Scouts do the same at many other national cemetaries around the country.

I do not know what happens at the US cemetaries located overseas from the US.

Okay that is what I was meaning. I was meaning a day designated to commerate US veterans. I know Anzac Day is that day in Australia but I was just wondering about other places...

In Britain, none of the rememberance days are public holidays.

The oldest, and the one that everyone knows about is Remembrance Sunday (the Sunday closest to Nov 11). There are local ceremonies at most of the local memorials with the largest one at the Cenotaph in London (the laying of the wreaths and the march past is always televised).

We also have Battle of Britain Day (September 15), VE Day (May 7) and VJ Day (Aug 15) - again not public holidays, and virtually nobody knows about them.

DDay used to get quite a lot of attention because a lot of veterans used to return to the beaches, and Pegasus bridge - but I believe that the last "official" celebrations are coming to an end because most of the veterans have passed on or are too old to travel.

Remembrance Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back