Invasion stripes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow! I just saw my pics on line. Why are some of them so huge. I thought I reduced all of them to 600x800. Doh.

Very nice model mate.:D

Some of these pics were so huge because you didn't resize them.Though you was sure.No matter I did it instead of you. Now these are visible fully.The size of them is very nice so try to use the one for the Future, please.

regards,

Looks good so far. A really nice 1/48th Sabre is the Academy kit, the one labeled 'Mig Killer'. You can see the one I've just about finished in 'What's on the Workbench'.
Terry.
Edit: Just been able to see the rest of your pics Ted. Very nice indeed! One question though; for a 'D-Day' C46, should it really have the early national insignia? I thought 'Stars and Bars', without the central red disc? Sorry, I just thought I'd mention it, in case you need to change it before handing over the model.

Airframes,

Not really sure about what was used at that time. Dad thought it had the old insignias so that's what I used. If you all feel this craft needs the stars and bars then that's what it will get because using the wrong insignias would be a real boo boo. Thanks

Oh, and thanks for resizing the pics. I'll use 600x800 from now on.

Ok, I just called dad and went over the insignia thing with him. Now he thinks it had the stars and bars. :| Looks like I remove the old ones and install the stars and bars. Can I use Micro Set to remove those now?

If you can't remove them Ted, try this. First, carefully paint over the red centre spot, using white paint of course. When it's dry, apply the 'Stars and Bars' over the top of the existing decal, using Micro Sol/Set. That should take care of it.
I'm glad you were able to catch it, as the old pre-war marking went out when Japan entered the war, a directive of May 15 1942 changing the marking to Type 2, without the red centre. This was to avoid any possible confusion with the Japanese 'meatball'. The 'Bars' were added after tests in 1943, the order being dated June 28, to be completed by September 1. The idea was to make the marking more recognizable at a distance, in the form of a rectangle, as the blue disc, and the German cross, tended to blur into a hazy circle at a distance. The bars have been there ever since!

I don't know if Micro Set would remove them to be honest. I would either just take tape and take them off quickly, like waxing, though that may ruin the paint. You may also be able to put the Stars and Bars decal right over top. Or, you could just spray the green over the wing ones, but the fuselage ones would be difficult.

OK. Here she is with the correct insignias. Thought I'd also throw in a shot of a display at the Museum of the Airforce. Shows one chap painting Invasion strips, the not so neat way. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• With Correct Decals.jpg
    With Correct Decals.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Painting Invasion Stripes.jpg
    Painting Invasion Stripes.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 95
Those vertical stripes are dead vertical in real life. My photo makes them appear they are not "square" to the centerline of the fuselage.

Oh, and thanks everyone. I am excited about learning from you guys. You are too much.

As for the red dots, you were right on Airframe. The wing decals lifted right off with the Micro Set. The fuselage decals acted like they were Super Glued on! I had to do some scraping but in the final analysis all I really had to do was get rid of that red dots. I had removed everything except the red dots and sure enough they showed through the new decal so I quickly removed them and scraped those little suckers off. That worked. Thanks.

Boy, that was quick work Ted! Glad you managed it though, the 'Commando' looks cracking now! I'd love to be able to see your Dad's face when you give it to him. Be ready for some damp eyes, I would think!

Thanks for all the kind words gents. Yes, I think he'll crack a little. Along with the plane I've made a DVD slide presentation with 46 shots of the build. I overdubbed some 40's background music: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and several of the best of Glenn Miller. I was going to include On a Wing and a Prayer but I forgot.

WOW! That's one beautiful C-46! Love that bird, graceful lines just like the C-47, wouldn't mind to do one in 1/48! Outstanding work Ted and with 40's big band music, you can't lose! :thumbleft:

nice work! :D I've never seen that kind of C-47 before o_O

though the not so neat way is the best way IMO. I did a C-47 and everyone told me y invasion stripes were very authentic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back