Inventory of photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bill Leslie

Recruit
Nov 19, 2023
I came across a family album of a guy who served in WWII. He was the designated rep of Boeing. His job was to examine downed aircraft, to determine whether the plane was scrap, or could fly again. These deserve to be preserved. The family let me scan all of his photos. A copy of every photo is available in my drop box. Have fun. Feel free to reuse, share, etc. I tried to get museums interested, but none of them will reply. The photos can be found here. CRASH PHOTOS I have the family's permission to share these photos.

Last edited:
Hello,

Wecome to the site. Thank you for sharing these images. However the way you want to do it is incorrect. The path to the files is for your HDD and it is not possible to access it unless you are going to let us access your HDD or set it as a shared drive. But I wouldn't do that. So either upload the files/images here ( using the "Attach files" at the bottom of the screen) or go to the "Media" section of the forum ( the button/menu at the top bar ) and create your own album where you may upload them into and then share with our memebers.

No wonder, Geo. It is not a correct link and it can't work in the way it was posted. It is the path to Bill's computer HDD and the folder these pictures were saved there.
Hmm. Reading several responses. Please check my link again. Dropbox says it should work. And please let me know.

Hello,

Wecome to the site. Thank you for sharing these images. However the way you want to do it is incorrect. The path to the files is for your HDD and it is not possible to access it unless you are going to let us access your HDD or set it as a shared drive. But I wouldn't do that. So either upload the files/images here ( using the "Attach files" at the bottom of the screen) or go to the "Media" section of the forum ( the button/menu at the top bar ) and create your own album where you may upload them into and then share with our memebers.
Shared folder. Dropbox says it should work. Fingers crossed. But I'll research your suggestion.

Sturgis 25, 25-001 shows a HE-111. As most of the photos are mid-late war I'm guessing one of the captured HE-111's. Great pics by the way!!!

Attachments

• Sturgis 25.jpg
    Sturgis 25.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 16
Thanks. One wonders how many great photos are in some family's shoe box, and never get shared. I tried to buy
their Army .45, but no luck. The photographer owned a P51 Mustang for years, and flew it out of Troutdale, Oregon.
add dozens of "lost documents" to your list and then you'll realize what we know, barely covers a single second of such important time frame, at least, in most generalised way!

Thanks. One wonders how many great photos are in some family's shoe box, and never get shared.
My dad used to run the town incinerator. One can't begin to fathom what was burnt without anyone knowing what they through out. One example...my brother was working up there during school summer break doing recycle. All day long they kept walking around an old 10 gallon oil pail; the type that has a spout or you can take the entire top off. His partner finally kicked the pail over, the top flew off and inside was over $20,000CAN in rolled up King George paper money. Someone must have cleaned up grampa's shed and just got rid of anything that was laying around

My dad used to run the town incinerator. One can't begin to fathom what was burnt without anyone knowing what they through out. One example...my brother was working up there during school summer break doing recycle. All day long they kept walking around an old 10 gallon oil pail; the type that has a spout or you can take the entire top off. His partner finally kicked the pail over, the top flew off and inside was over $20,000CAN in rolled up King George paper money. Someone must have cleaned up grampa's shed and just got rid of anything that was laying around
Agreed. I have a number of files of odds and ends - V mails, letters, photos, military documents, that I can't pass by at estate sales. Some, I end up writing about (I'm a freelance writer), some, I donate to suitable organizations. Some just sit there. I have a nice file of identification from an American who spent the whole war in Hungary and Germany ... apparently, teaching English and learning Hungarian. One wonders how that could be. He came home in early 1945 with a German bride... and a 2 year-old son. Another file is of all the ephemera that an American officer collected en-route from USA to India, via Ireland, England, and North Africa. Every receipt, hotel invoice, menu, berth assignment. Fun stuff, all of which tells a story. His family had no appreciation for this, so I picked it up. Want to see a shipboard menu from 1943? How much did it cost to stay in a hotel in Edinburgh in 1944? I got it.... Be well, friend.

Agreed. I have a number of files of odds and ends - V mails, letters, photos, military documents, that I can't pass by at estate sales. Some, I end up writing about (I'm a freelance writer), some, I donate to suitable organizations. Some just sit there. I have a nice file of identification from an American who spent the whole war in Hungary and Germany ... apparently, teaching English and learning Hungarian. One wonders how that could be. He came home in early 1945 with a German bride... and a 2 year-old son. Another file is of all the ephemera that an American officer collected en-route from USA to India, via Ireland, England, and North Africa. Every receipt, hotel invoice, menu, berth assignment. Fun stuff, all of which tells a story. His family had no appreciation for this, so I picked it up. Want to see a shipboard menu from 1943? How much did it cost to stay in a hotel in Edinburgh in 1944? I got it.... Be well, friend.
People like you, worth more than diamond!!!

I wish there were people like you, in my country!!!

Hello,

I'm new to this site. Am I okay now? Want to do it right. The shared dropbox link seems to work ok....

Welcome to the site. I, too, pick up the treasures that families throw out. Saved a scrap album from the fire in a burn dump (decades ago) which covered a young man in the USMC pre war through all the way home. I suspect his mom kept the record. From enlistment before Pearl Harbor, to stationed in Iceland, to Pacific. His souvenir was "one Japanese blanket".

I came across a family album of a guy who served in WWII. He was the designated rep of Boeing. His job was to examine downed aircraft, to determine whether the plane was scrap, or could fly again. These deserve to be preserved. The family let me scan all of his photos. A copy of every photo is available in my drop box. Have fun. Feel free to reuse, share, etc. I tried to get museums interested, but none of them will reply. The photos can be found here. CRASH PHOTOS I have the family's permission to share these photos.
Just to note,
Letters are addressed as name Robert N STURGES. I read a few sloppy misspellings here.

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back