Iraq equipment V older kit? NONE POLITICAL

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Readie

Chief Master Sergeant
Apr 15, 2011
Plymouth, England
I have been watching the Iraq - Afghanistan - Gulf war air strikes. There is no doubt that the smart bombs. drones are very clever and effective. But, I have also wondered if any WW2 aircraft could add something to the mix.
I say this as the opposition is not technically advanced and would say, a King Cobra or Typhoon be able to deliver lower speed strikes that would be effective in this theatre?

What do you think?
Cheers
John

I think something to the effect was brought up early on in Afghanistan. Troops were (supposedly, because I can't confirm personally) complaining that the B-52's were dropping short on runs, and that they'd prefer a CAS aircraft like the A-10 Warthog to bomb near them. As per the WW2 side of things, have you ever looked up the Piper PA-48 Enforcer?
Piper PA-48 Enforcer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to wiki (which I sometimes trust as far as I can throw the computer), the Enforcer was the "ultimate development" of the P51.

How about something along the lines of the Flying Dumptruck?

Not only was it actually designed and test flown during WWII, but the Douglas A-1 (Skyraider) performed well in two successive wars (not including other actions involving foreign operators) and had a pretty impressive service record.

After all your analysis, calculations, comparisons, lessons learned, etc., you will come out with..........the A-10!

I think something to the effect was brought up early on in Afghanistan. Troops were (supposedly, because I can't confirm personally) complaining that the B-52's were dropping short on runs, and that they'd prefer a CAS aircraft like the A-10 Warthog to bomb near them. As per the WW2 side of things, have you ever looked up the Piper PA-48 Enforcer?
Piper PA-48 Enforcer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to wiki (which I sometimes trust as far as I can throw the computer), the Enforcer was the "ultimate development" of the P51.

Thanks. The Enforcer is new to me.I appreciate learning about an aircraft that i was unaware of.

I was thinking more of precision bombing / attack aircraft from the WW2 era, like this Ilyushin 2/10 Sturmovik - history, photos, specification of the Ilyushin 2/10 Sturmovik or this post war Ilyushin Il-10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very strong and capable of delivering a fatal blow.

Just a thought

Cheers
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back