Is Spitfire really the BEST British fighter??? (1 Viewer)

As I mentioned earlier, you had to be a good pilot to fly a P-38. If you were a good pilot and flew a P-51, you became a great pilot. The great pilots who flew P-38s did phenomenal things with this airplane, like turn inside a Zero or any other Japanese aircraft. As Plan D stated however, the pilots who could do this were far and few between!

I think if P-38 stateside training would have emphasized more, the idiosyncrasies of this aircraft, courses on how to manage its fuel system for maximum range (as taught by Charles Lindbergh during his Pacific tour) and how to maximize the P-38 firepower, you would of seen this aircraft emerge operationally superior, in many cases to the P-51, especially if the L models would have entered service earlier!
 
the lancaster kicks ass said:
i think your taking it a bit too far........

Remember Lanc, he said "could of been." :)
 
I think it was said that to put Merlins in a P-38 would have been difficult because it would have required structural changes.
 
cheddar cheese said:
Actually I believe tests with the Merlins we done (on paper). There were no significant improvemnts so they stuck with the Good 'ol Alliscon :)

I know, still would of like to of known the actual results! :-k

I think it was said that to put Merlins in a P-38 would have been difficult because it would have required structural changes.

BIG changes! - I wonder if modified, would the back pistons on the merlins would have had the heating problems like the Allisons? :-k
 
Or even a couple of R-2800's :D
 
evangilder said:
I think radials in a P-38 would have made for a great ground attack airplane though.

I think it would of looked a little funny!
 
evangilder said:
I think radials in a P-38 would have made for a great ground attack airplane though.

:shock: :shock:
 

Attachments

  • 2800_p38_276.jpg
    2800_p38_276.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 460
if they're too the same scale that thing's huge!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back