Is Spitfire relly superior to FW-190?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't realised that you could buy a 'new 190'. I do recall there was a splash of interest in a new Spit ( that was produced at Duxford a couple of years ago.
It was to original plans and standards with a new merlin but with modern analysis systems built into the airframe for ease of maintanence. What with the Russians supplying new build Yak 9? all we need is a new Lancaster to keep everyone happy

Hey, I'm gettin a lot of mixed reports about the p-38. Some say the p-38 couldn't turn as well as single engined figters, and that its only advatage was boom and zoom tactics. Others say that it could outclimb and outturn single engined fighters...Whats the real story??

The actual aircraft could turn, yes. It was not simple though, P-38s required experienced, well trained or naturall talented pilots to fly them to their extreme.
When one of those pilots got in the seat it could climb with, turn with, dive with, roll with the best and worst of them.

It wasn't just early on though. I interviewed a guy that flew them late in the war and the training was woefully inadequate. They went from single engine fighters to the P-38 after just an orientation flight, squatting behind the pilot.

Glider said:
I hadn't realised that you could buy a 'new 190'. I do recall there was a splash of interest in a new Spit ( that was produced at Duxford a couple of years ago.
It was to original plans and standards with a new merlin but with modern analysis systems built into the airframe for ease of maintanence. What with the Russians supplying new build Yak 9? all we need is a new Lancaster to keep everyone happy

The 190's not completely built to original plans but it is the closest thing you will find to it.

At high speeds, yes. That's not hard though, against a Zero. I don't know about below 275 mph.

It could easily outclimb and out dive it. Turning with it wasnt too easy, but there are reports the Richard Bong managed to turn with them.

but absolutely anything could turn inside it at 250mph+........

CC said:
Yeah, it does look different to the original.

they look exactily the same!!, show me two pics of them, and point out differences you can see........

As Adler stated, the fuselages look slightly different. To me it looks slightly shorter and a little bit fatter. It also has the essence about it that it isnt real. I cant put my finger on it, its just something i seem able to sense.

FW190_AZEITLER_22.gif

Attachments

• fw-190_a-8_116.jpeg
    fw-190_a-8_116.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 439
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back