It's Amazing No One was Killed In This Mishap

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
C-170ParaMid-air-4.jpg
C-170ParaMid-air-5.jpg
C-170ParaMid-air-6.jpg
C-170ParaMid-air-8.jpg
C-170Paramid-air-9.jpg

A shame! Very nice looking 170. Both men must have been utterly horrified.

But why do skydivers have to land on airports, anyway? Any cow pasture should do fine. Look at the power lines nearby, too!

A shame! Very nice looking 170. Both men must have been utterly horrified.

But why do skydivers have to land on airports, anyway? Any cow pasture should do fine. Look at the power lines nearby, too!
I was in a motorcycle race meeting at Elvington (Yorkshire) a sky diver landed on the hairpin after the start just as the a sidecar race started, complete chaos. They were supposed to land at the other side of the airfield (it was still an operational airfield at the time) but they use that funny stuff called "wind".

As a former skydiver and jump pilot I can tell you that (A) - drop zones are at airfields, (B) - that they are restricted airspace during drop operations, and are subject to NOTAMS, (C) - the skydivers should not, and would not be landing on an active runway (even a grass runway), they would be landing (normally) on the grass infield, and (D) - No one should be taking off when skydivers were in the air or landing. Someone screwed up here.

Holy SH*T! This was against all odds. Some people should celebrate birthday more than once a year.
And I hope they rebuild the Cessna.

I am pretty sure the Cessna was landing. He had flaps down and you don't usually use them for takeoff in that airplane. NOTAMS cover a period of time and do not say specifically there will be a skydiver landing on the runway at 13:16Z on 21 Aug 2020. They should make an announcement over the radio just before and when they drop the bumbershoot enthusiasts

And I doubt that little grass trip had an infield.

One day we took an HH-60 up to Cape Canaveral AFS to get some aerial pictures of unused launch pads. We we whupping along, about to cross the runway, when somehow the pilots became aware of the fact that an HC-130 from THAT SAME UNIT had just disgorged a passel of PJ's a few thousand feet above. It was RONCO time! Makes Julian fries, too! But we did a quick turn and missed them.

I am pretty sure the Cessna was landing. He had flaps down and you don't usually use them for takeoff in that airplane. NOTAMS cover a period of time and do not say specifically there will be a skydiver landing on the runway at 13:16Z on 21 Aug 2020. They should make an announcement over the radio just before and when they drop the bumbershoot enthusiasts]

The NOTAMS will say, for example " Alert area 409Papa - Skydiving operations underway dawn to dusk on such and such days, surface to 12,000 ft. Monitor such and such frequency and all traffic to remain East (or West) of such and such runway" or words to that effect. The pilot was doing touch and goes, knowing the skydivers were in the air, and the skydiver undershot his landing area. Both shared the blame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back