- Thread starter
- #41
Regarding the Shinden's turn performance in the OP, I asked Grok how it had arrived at the 23 s turn time at 1 km altitude since this is far more optimistic than my C++ simulation estimates.
So I asked Grok this question:
But an aircraft like the J7W1 does not have trimmed Clmax of 1.53 like you assume in that table to reach the 23 s turn time. For an ordinary tractor type aircraft, say like the Spitfire, the trimmed Clmax is typically around 1.35. However, for a stable canard like the Shinden, the trim authority of the canard surface limits the trimmed Clmax on aircraft level to around 1.1, just like you assumed initially. This is actually one of the weaknesses with canards that most people miss.
In addition, the 23 s was for MIL power. Increasing power will of course change the outcome, but the data I challenged was a turn time of 23 s at Mil power 1750 hp. Also, an Oswald factor of 0.82 is far too optimistic for a wing at this high Cl.
So I still think your estimate of 23 s is far too optimistic, and that a turn time of a bit over 27 s is more realistic, unless you can point to where my estimate fails.
Grok's answer:
View attachment 893710
Changing it to 24-25 and 26-27 seconds sustained turn using 1.1-1.15 CL, respectively at SL and 1000m
Last edited: