Jaeger Rifle (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
This took a lot of time:

Jaeger_Rifle_Dev.jpg

Detail:

Jaeger_Rifle_Lock.jpg

Clave, looks nice. Jaegers were made in both Europe and the Colonies. Where is yours from? What are the buttons forward of the trigger? Are they double triggers for hair trigger setup?

I've fired rifles with similar "set triggers" or "hair triggers". Usually, you push the first (or second) button in and pull the main trigger until it clicks. Then, just the lightest stroke on the other button will fire the weapon. It really is pretty cool as it reduces the pull to nothing.

It's a pretty rifle. Short, Colonial rifles tended to be pretty long. Funny thing I've noticed about Europe, the horizon (and other obstructions) tend to be closer. Seems like there is always more distance from one field to another, one tree line to another, ect, in the States. But I've seen shorter rifles from the age over here as well. Just not real common. Tend to be lower caliber as well. Down around .30 or so.

Still, a beautiful bit of work. Love the color. Is it an oak variety?

Very nice!

Does this make you a Jaegermeister?

Do you make any 19th century iron clads? Monitor vessels? Sloped sided iron clads?

we've called them Schützen rifles for years though that should not actually be the correct term. Still made today and are quite sought after and command enormous prices - black powder ones

E

Hi Clave,

Beautiful! :) Is it an idealized typical rifle or an individual example? (The hunting scene detail makes me suspect it's the latter, but I'm not an expert for sure!)

If it's an individual rifle, do you have more information on its origin? A friend just pointed out to me that it was Saxonia that was pioneering Jäger tactics in the 18th century, but he wasn't sure how quickly they had caught on with other German states.

(The modern-style German flag unfortunately didn't help me to narrow it down, but I admit I'd probably not have recognzed many flags of the awfully fragmented contemporary German states anyhow :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread