Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IJA used to be a comfortable place for such a cool-headed guy like Col. Masanobu Tsuji who ordered massacre of Chinese citizens in Singapore.
Narita has same mindset.

IJA used to be a comfortable place for such a cool-headed guy like Col. Masanobu Tsuji who ordered massacre of Chinese citizens in Singapore.
Narita has same mindset.

Narita is a fool but he has had many predecessors in history. See:

Are there many Japanese news organizations following or giving updates on Japanese fighters in Ukraine? Judging from the photo things could be a bit political ...

DXw.jpg

"They are Refugee Aristocrats."
President of a Japanese language school accepting Ukraine refugee students remarks troubles over tuition.

For a certain period of time, this school accepted students who had evacuated from Ukraine by offering free tuition. At a press conference, the president of the school described Ukrainian refugees as "Refugee Aristocrats" causing ripples.

Educational Foundation NIPPON ACADEMY President Kiyoshi Shimizu says,
"This is a result of students who don't pay and bare their fangs to us. Do you know the current state of support for Ukrainian people? Frankly speaking, they are refugee nobles."

Language school corporation "NIPPON ACADEMY" located in Maebashi City, Gunma Prefecture accepted 38 students who had evacuated from Ukraine. However, it holds troubles with students who claim "We were told in advance that tuition would be free for a certain period of time but we were charged for it within that period."

At a press conference held yesterday, President Shimizu said "Free tuition was a prerequisite for students till they become independent" and "There is no contract itself." On the other hand, he said that Ukrainian refugees are "too special" and "We did not understand it well."

Source: 「難民貴族」 ウクライナ避難学生受け入れの学校法人理事長が発言 学費めぐりトラブル 群馬・前橋市

According to the school's official statement "About Ukrainian problem (another Ukrainian war)" in pdf, main point looks like this -

"..... Students are judged to be receiving a large amount of support (*from Japanese government) at this time, having a job and be sufficiently independent. Therefore, in the second half of the year from October, while the support from the government (*to our school) has not been confirmed, it is inevitable that the tuition fee will be charged, and continuing free of charge will not be sorry (*fair) for the same (*other) students, such as international students from Asia....."

Source: https://nippon-academy.ac.jp/images/ukr_mondai.pdf

Last edited:
Send the tuition bill to Putin.
Good idea, Rob.

Financial supports to Ukrainian refugees in Japan by the Japanese authorities is about $10K/person or $30K/family a year beside extra costs like travel expense $3K, housing $5K and the tuition $1K to $3K. In the case of Maebashi City, it's $1K for NIPPON ACADEMY as the referee is the school.
BTW, average Japanese annual income is about $50K.

Source: 【ウクライナ避難民の方へ】渡航費・生活費・住環境整備費支援 4月20日より申請の受付開始 | 日本財団

The countryside trouble grows.

Student from Ukraine requests apology. Battle escalates.

A Japanese language school in Gunma Prefecture is in trouble with refugees from Ukraine over payment of tuition fees. On the 27th, an Ukrainian student held a press conference and said "I want the president to apologize." At the conference, other inappropriate behavior of the school was also revealed.

Mr. Lunin Vladislav (24), an Ukrainian who attends the Japanese language school of Maebashi City's "NIPPON ACADEMY", held a press conference at the Gunma Prefectural Office on the 27th.

Mr. Lunin is a refugee from Ukraine and talked about the trouble that the school charged for the tuition that was supposed to be free.

At a press conference held on the 24th by the educational foundation, President Kiyoshi Shimizu explained the legitimacy of charging for tuition, referring to refugees as "Beggars" and "Refugee Aristocrats." Ripples were spreading.

Mr. Lunin held a conference on the 27th in response to the president's conference.

According to Lunin, around the end of May last year, before coming to Japan, when he had an online interview with the school, he was told that "tuition and other fees are free for six months." After that, Lunin came to Japan and started attending school in September.

However, around October, the school suddenly asked the students who had evacuated to peaceful Japan to pay about 300,000 yen, which is equivalent to half a year's tuition, saying, "You would need to make more efforts than the suffering people in your country."

In addition, smartphones and apartments have been provided free of charge to Lunin and other Ukrainian refugees by companies and local governments, but the school unilaterally insisted that they would take away their apartments and smartphones if they did not pay their tuition fees.

While Lunin feels indebted to the school that accepted the refugees, he said it was "dishonest" for deceiving the refugees and said, "I want the president to apologize." He talked about his mind.

Regarding tuition fees, the school claims that tuition fees are part of its educational activities, and that "the purpose is for the independence of the students. The purpose is not to spoil and create monsters."

Maebashi City provides subsidies of 300,000 yen for people who have evacuated from Ukraine and go to Japanese language schools if an individual acts as a referee, and 100,000 yen if a school acts as a referee. This is a system of payment.

According to the city office, the school has acted as a referee for the students in trouble and has already applied for 100,000 yen. On top of that, it is not appropriate to charge tuition fees to Ukrainian refugees this time.

In addition, the office said "We heard that the school would accept refugees from Ukraine for free and teach them."

Source:

Last edited:
The countryside trouble grows.

Student from Ukraine requests apology. Battle escalates.

A Japanese language school in Gunma Prefecture is in trouble with refugees from Ukraine over payment of tuition fees. On the 27th, an Ukrainian student held a press conference and said "I want the president to apologize." At the conference, other inappropriate behavior of the school was also revealed.

Mr. Lunin Vladislav (24), an Ukrainian who attends the Japanese language school of Maebashi City's "NIPPON ACADEMY", held a press conference at the Gunma Prefectural Office on the 27th.

Mr. Lunin is a refugee from Ukraine and talked about the trouble that the school charged for the tuition that was supposed to be free.

At a press conference held on the 24th by the educational foundation, President Kiyoshi Shimizu explained the legitimacy of charging for tuition, referring to refugees as "Beggars" and "Refugee Aristocrats." Ripples were spreading.

Mr. Lunin held a conference on the 27th in response to the president's conference.

According to Lunin, around the end of May last year, before coming to Japan, when he had an online interview with the school, he was told that "tuition and other fees are free for six months." After that, Lunin came to Japan and started attending school in September.

However, around October, the school suddenly asked the students who had evacuated to peaceful Japan to pay about 300,000 yen, which is equivalent to half a year's tuition, saying, "You would need to make more efforts than the suffering people in your country."

In addition, smartphones and apartments have been provided free of charge to Lunin and other Ukrainian refugees by companies and local governments, but the school unilaterally insisted that they would take away their apartments and smartphones if they did not pay their tuition fees.

While Lunin feels indebted to the school that accepted the refugees, he said it was "dishonest" for deceiving the refugees and said, "I want the president to apologize." He talked about his mind.

Regarding tuition fees, the school claims that tuition fees are part of its educational activities, and that "the purpose is for the independence of the students. The purpose is not to spoil and create monsters."

Maebashi City provides subsidies of 300,000 yen for people who have evacuated from Ukraine and go to Japanese language schools if an individual acts as a referee, and 100,000 yen if a school acts as a referee. This is a system of payment.

According to the city office, the school has acted as a referee for the students in trouble and has already applied for 100,000 yen. On top of that, it is not appropriate to charge tuition fees to Ukrainian refugees this time.

In addition, the office said "We heard that the school would accept refugees from Ukraine for free and teach them."

Source:
"That school president is not covering himself with distinction." "Translating this may be difficult)

Points will be -
1. School promised free class for 6 months.
2. School requested tuition within the period.

Students may have looked rich to the president as he probably thought himself poor.
Even if so, he should understand that who is poor or rich has nothing to do with keeping a promise.
Yes, that is the point. The president has dishonored himself and the school. Seppuku?

I think the Japanese IRS should investigate this person. Stealing from both the Japanese people and the Ukrainians makes a man with no morals. I bet he enriched himself with fraude before.
Your viewpoint is always fresh enough to encourage me for further research, Snautzer. Thanks.

Some Ukrainian evacuees are not able to find referees even after about half a year since arriving in Japan. They are obliged to stay in hotels as a temporary shelter.

In the case of Tkachenko Roberto (18) -

He lived with his family in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine, but fled to Japan alone last August to escape the attack by Russia. Since he has no relatives or sponsors in Japan, he is staying at a hotel in Chiba Prefecture (near Tokyo) that the government provides as a temporary accommodation.

He made friends with Ukrainians through a private support group and hope to live in the Tokyo area. His stay has reached half a year.
Such people staying at a hotel provided temporarily are not allowed to work and the monetary support by the government is limited to 1000 yen (less than $10) a day, so they say that "going out" is kept to a minimum.

Roberto says "When I came to Japan, I was happy to find this was safer than in Europe and foods were given but I can't do cooking here for a long time. It's really painful."

The Immigration Services Agency has informed him that he may be able to move to a house in Saitama Prefecture (near Tokyo) in a few months. He says "I want to find a job and work immediately after moving. I want to go to the language school and study Japanese."

According to the agency, as of February 15, 64 evacuees are staying at hotels temporarily as they cannot find referees. About 30 of them stay at Roberto's hotel.

Last edited:
In my country a lot of Ukrainian citizens that came ( >90.000 ) have jobs . This within weeks rather then months. Seems the are quite capable taking care for themselves and be productive members of society. The ones that can work do.

In the case of Rena from Kharkiv.

More than 2,300 people evacuated from Ukraine to Japan. Rena (22) from the eastern city of Kharkiv is one of them. Life in Japan suddenly began in last April as Mr. Sato (57) and his family in Gunma Prefecture offered a referee for her. Conversation depends on a translation machine.

(After testing the machine,)

Sato: What do you want now?
Rena: I want to learn Japanese, as much as possible.

As Rena loved manga and anime, she was interested in Japan. For the first time in her life, she also learnt how to ride a bike.

Rena: I fell many times on the ground and hit the wall but it's OK now.

In last June, she had the long-awaited Japanese language school's entrance ceremony. There were also a group of students who came from Ukraine. Despite meeting them for the first time, words began to pour from her lips as though a dam inside her had broken.

Classmate: Do your parents stay in Ukraine?
Rena: Yes, they do. I asked them to go out with me to Poland but they didn't. In the shelter there, I was wondering if the bomb would hit me directly or fly nearby or I would be buried under the building or how I would die.

Classmate: You didn't think a war would start in the 21st century, did you?
Rena: .....I'll get back to you.

In her hometown, large-scale attacks by Russian forces were being carried out even at that moment. The reality of her hometown made Rena's heart uneasy.

Rena: I feel uneasy when I think about my friends and family in the battlefield. I am worried about them.

In addition, there was a big barrier in her school life that seemed to be going well.

Q: What about your Ukrainian friends at school?
Rena: They are nice people but we don't communicate much.

Many of her classmates were from the western region and spoke Ukrainian but Rena who was from Kharkiv, near Russia, spoke Russian.

Rena graduated from the school without being able to overcome this language barrier with her classmates.
Rena: Some Ukrainians don't like the Russian language. I felt it would cause problems.

The existence of Russia casted a shadow over everything in her life. On the wall of her room where she started living alone, there was a "black map" with Russian area erased with countless crosses.

Rena: I don't want to see Russia. I feel hate and frustration. I can't sleep well and am on medication.
This is medicine for anxiety and this is medicine for sleeping. Yes, I still remember the explosion and don't know where my cat is. I'm worried about this.

Rena tried to find a job for her to survive. She visited an Hello-Work office (Job Center).
Rena: I can't help doing something. I want to be useful to this society. Of course I want to earn money. I also want to keep a cat.

A month later, on February 13, there was a figure of Rena riding a bicycle for work.

Rena: I got a job at a parts assembly factory and this is my first day for it.

Rena wants to continue living in Japan in the future.
Rena: Work is fun. I always love this factory. I'm happy.

Rena_2022bs.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PmxGXVgH4g

Last edited:
Battle escalates.

Ukrainian Ambassador to Japan says "That will never be allowed" while Shimuzu shuts up his mouth

The comment "Students are Refugee Aristocrats"which Masumi Shimizu(74) made as the president of the school corporation "NIPPON ACADEMY" (Maebashi City) at a press conference at the Gunma Prefectural Office on February 24 is spreading ripples.

The school and some students from Ukaraine are confronting over tuition payments as Shimizu said at a press conference "International students from Asia pay high tuition fees while Ukrainians can study for a certain period of time for free as though 'Refugee Aristocrats'."

The Ukrainian Ambassador to Japan, Sergiy Korsunsky, commented in his Twitter on the 28th "This is an absolutely unforgivable and shameful remark to them. I recommend them to leave this inappropriate educational organization." Governor Yamamoto also said at a press conference on the 1st "I am very disappointed with Shimizu's inappropriate expression." The Prefectural Committee on Health and Welfare investigates the details of this trouble.

Shimizu was scheduled to hold a press conference on the 2nd but canceled. On the same day, he told our Yomiuri Shimbun "I didn't mean to insult Ukrainians. It was an expression to tell the situation correctly."

Source: MSN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back