Japan unveils largest warship since WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There's been tension between China and Japan for quite some time and just recently there was a standoff between Japanese vessels and Chinese (accompanied by Russian ships who were on joint excersizes) near some disputed Islands (it's always disputed islands for some reason).

The Chinese have two former Red Navy carriers (Varyag Kiev) that are full sized carriers stocked primarily with the Chinese Shenyang J-15. There are reports that they are in the process of building two of thier own with perhaps three more in the works.

The new "carrier" of Japan's is a far cry from what the Chinese have at the moment...

I know that Japan's is smaller, but it is better than nothing, especially if its capable of carrying VSTOL aircraft.

Nice wiki research, parsifal but frankly I want to bet our future on Mr James R Holms' analysis this time.

The Sino-Japanese Naval War of 2012
BY JAMES R. HOLMES

Author concludes "Here's hoping China's political and military leaders understand all this. If so, the Great Sino-Japanese Naval War of 2012 won't be happening outside these pages."

Looks cool.

China wont do anything unless the US pulls out of the region, or is otherwise occupied. if that happens the chinese will all of a sudden get very pushy

one scenario is a shooting war on the korean peninsula. i can see the Chinese demanding the disputed territories in exchange for curbing their North koreanlap dogs

China wont do anything unless the US pulls out of the region, or is otherwise occupied. if that happens the chinese will all of a sudden get very pushy

China can -- and has -- gotten very pushy without any kind of military threat. Just about every nation is in serious debt to them, and their just saying "we'll stop buying your bonds" would get most governments to alter their behavior. Also, I think a lot of corporations just love doing business in China: the government keeps the unions down, doesn't regulate work places, and even pays them to move there (a friend of my brother's was a senior accountant for a small manufacturing company in Rhode Island; one of China, Inc's operations offered to build and equip a factory for them if the completely shut down US manufacturing and moved it to China).

vwey clean, but no ski jump. until and unless fitted, sort of limits the Stovl capabilities of the ship. I suspect ski jumps have not been fitted so as to keep the Chinese soothed as to Japanese intent

China can -- and has -- gotten very pushy without any kind of military threat. Just about every nation is in serious debt to them, and their just saying "we'll stop buying your bonds" would get most governments to alter their behavior.

They do have a lot of economic leverage, but i seriously doubt they would do any of that. Why....because it would hurt China more than it would hurt us. If they start economically blackmailing us, countries would run a mile from themn, and they need the export trade and dollars far more than we need their toasters.

Also, I think a lot of corporations just love doing business in China: the government keeps the unions down, doesn't regulate work places, and even pays them to move there (a friend of my brother's was a senior accountant for a small manufacturing company in Rhode Island; one of China, Inc's operations offered to build and equip a factory for them if the completely shut down US manufacturing and moved it to China)

China is actually very choosy as to what foreign investment it allows, and whom it allows to establish businesses in the country. They can be very difficult at times. And the biggest single inhibitor for foreign investment is corruption. China is trying to take steps to stamp it out, but its inherent to their system...so kinda like chasing your tail and biting it.

Generally, however, the Chinese have been very good at combining the best of the free market with their command economy. They plan everything, and it works. Chinese workers are increasingly becoming affluent, and increasingly that means their domestic market is increasing in importance. I dont know how far away it is for them to not give a rats about foreign investment and foreign exports, but they remain very careful at this moment

The only way the Chinese will move on this issue, is if they can somehow rough someone up without becoming the bad guy (more than they already are). The only scenario where I see possibilities like that might be korea, or if someone is dumb enough to attack them

I am convinced that the nations China intends to make its clients are not going to go down without a fight. Korea, Japan and Australia have all engaged in significant upgrades to their naval capabilities .

Ou chief air defence at sea will be our three Aegis Air warfare cDDGs, the Hobart Class

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwUvIDyQACE

Our at sea air lift capability will for the time being remain rotary winged, but the ability of these ships to carry STOVL a/c is obvious given they are equipped with a ski Jump

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruiY-RUXtWM

and finally some honest vision of the melbourne operating A4s in the early '70s. Its not scripted, and shows really clearly the dangers of operating fixed wing a/c on small carriers. i was a young recruit back then, not yet at sea, but my future CO, the late Dave Martin had already taken command of the ship

Apologies for the attrocious music score

BUGGER OFF YOU BLOODY LOW LIFE

(Edit: I see the offending spammer has been dealt with....thanks)

Last edited:
great stuff Shinpachi Appreciate the vision. Ive excercised once with the Japanese Navy. Very capable, but language is a bit of an issue sometimes.

Here is another clip of the melbourne on excercise in 1980 (IIRC). I think it was taken during RIMPAC, off Hawaii....yours truly onboard by then. Some of those guys I knew. I posted firstly because I think its very cool, but also shows the absolute rush that happens when a carrier is engaged in flight ops. i can honestly say there is nothin like it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITMKiPdHqQI

Thought it might be intersted to see what the Indian Navy is doing. They have comprehensively refitted the old Kiev Class Baku. And almost completedly refitted the ships systems and operational methods. I think she will be a success, but one has to wonder at the cost...$3.3 Billion US. They will need to get at least 25 years out of the hull for it to be cost effective....and that will make the ex-Baku a 50 year old hull when she is retired. Makes me doubtful

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BRnsZKN2FU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjXkrohGfVQ

I hate the music scores for these videos

This is some vision of deck ops for the Mig-29, which will operate from the Indian carrier

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3AMB7ZFF3Q

And here is the Chinese Carrier test flying her new J-15. This is a very capable a/c, dont underestimate these guys

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqd8GiK_BGM

The Indians also have a very significant domestic carrier construction program and aircraft development program underway for their Navy. Their Carrier Vikrant was launched in July, and is now scheduled to commission 2018. At 37000 tons she is a significant addition, and has an air groud of 36 a/c. She is to be followed by a much larger ship, the Vishal which at 65000 tons, and possibly nuclear powered is a very significant proposition. Once in place, this would make the Indian Navy one of the worlds largest

Vikrant-class aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice videos, parsifal!

I remember a couple of Aussie guys came to Japan about 25 years ago.
One was from Brisbane, or its nearby, and I was unable to understand what he was talking about at all.
The other from Melbourne played a role as a translator for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back