Japanese Naval Units operating "Rufe" Aleutians 1942

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Keith1967

Banned
Oct 14, 2020
My subject Lt G.C. Duncan, was flying an SOC floatplane from the USS Louisville. During a mission he encountered a Rufe which he claimed "damaged". Which Japanese units were flying "Rufes" or other monoplane floatplane types were operating in this area in August 1942?

best regards

Keith

It was the 5th Air Corps.

Following units held A6M2-N Rufe in the Aleutians but actually the same corps except the 802nd.

Tohko Air Corps
Stayed in Kiska from May to August 5, 1942.
As a branch unit for float planes, 5th Air Corps was created and stayed in Kiska/Attu from August 5, 1942 to November 1.
Main unit left the islands on August 5.

5th Air Corps
5 E13A Jake were deployed in Kiska on August 14, 1947 1942
More 5 E13A were added on August 31.

5th Air Corps was re-organized as 452nd Air Corps on November 1, 1947 1942.

802nd Air Corps
Joined attack on the Aleutian Islands in May, 1947 1942.
This unit was in the Southern Pacific in August, 1947 1942.

Last edited:
It was the 5th Air Corps.

Following units held A6M2-N Rufe in the Aleutians but actually the same corps except the 802nd.

Tohko Air Corps
Stayed in Kiska from May to August 5, 1942.
As a branch unit for float planes, 5th Air Corps was created and stayed in Kiska/Attu from August 5, 1942 to November 1.
Main unit left the islands on August 5.

5th Air Corps
5 E13A Jake were deployed in Kiska on August 14, 1947
More 5 E13A were added on August 31.

5th Air Corps was re-organized as 452nd Air Corps on November 1, 1947.

802nd Air Corps
Joined attack on the Aleutian Islands in May, 1947.
This unit was in the Southern Pacific in August, 1947.
1947?

I knew George Duncan pretty well via fighter aces and Golden Eagles. Great guy, up-front leader.
After his Alaskan SOC adventure he pounded on his detailer's desk: "I'm a FIGHTER pilot!"

So he went to VF-15 and became Dave McCampbell's no. 2 ace with Ens Wendell "Doz" Twelves, 13 each.

George was an air group commander during the Korean War and narrowly missed a shot at Chinese aircraft harassing a British airliner.

He's best known (anonymously) for his USS Midway ramp strike. Did you know this is the Most Famous Ramp Strike in Movie History? - The Aviation Geek Club

I knew George's footage had been used in some films. I asked him if he'd seen Hunt for Red October and he said, "Seen it? I'm IN it!" (His F9F was the substitute for an F-14 but that was far better than George's jet substituting for Chuck Heston's SBD/SB2C in the dreadful 1976 Midway film.)

Became a lawyer after the navy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back