Japanese oldest living WW2 naval ace passed away today

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There were not so many veterans who talked about their own war experience 'proudly' in public as they lost the war.
Instead, their families were listened persistently and repeatedly same story again and again by them. So was my family.

However, my father in law never wanted to talk about his experience even in front of his family.
He fought and survived the deadly Battle of Philippines
I was curious and asked him to tell me any story he experienced. He glanced at me for a moment and said "My comrades were dying in order of stupidity". That was all.

22 years ago when he was 70, he suffered stomach cancer. I happened to say to my wife "He survived the deadly battle. That would be enough".
To my surprise, she had told it to her father. I asked her "What did he say ?" She answered "He said The last war was one thing but this battle is another". He passed away at 70. :salute:

I know..or should say knew a lot of vets who wouldn't talk about the war. winning or losing had nothing to do with it...it was the horror of the battlefield and the transformation of what they had to do to survive. Mr. Harada was right when he said both sides lose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back