Japanese shortage of raw materials (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cherry blossom

Senior Airman
Apr 23, 2007
There are several reports that late WW2 Japanese engines were not reliable because the materials were of lower standard than planned because some raw materials were not available. For example, Nakajima Aircraft Industries History(2) concludes its details of the Homare with "But because of the war condition, it became difficult to acquire high quality fuel that was required for the engine, maintain the quality level of machining process (due to a lack of skilled workers), and purchase special steel materials. As a result, its performance potential was not fully realized before the end of the war."

Does anyone know which materials were not available?

There is a similar description of problems with the Ho-5 cannon. For example, Tony Williams writes about the 20x94 cartridge at An introduction to collecting 20 mm cannon cartridges "This cartridge was developed during WW2 for the Japanese Army air force's Ho-5 cannon, also known as the 20mm Type 2. The gun was based on a slightly enlarged Browning M2. As designed, it offered an impressive combination of high performance and light weight, but the lack of high-quality steels for gun-making meant that the ammunition had to be significantly downloaded to reduce the stress on the gun mechanism." However, there is a subtly different account at The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia: Japanese 20mm Ho-5 Cannon blaming "Because of difficulties in quality control during production".

My guess is nickel, used in most steels, and perhaps vanadium, used I think in springs. However, does anyone know?

I think you have already hit the right answer to launch this thread, cherry blossoms:)
You may think almost resources were in shortage including foods.

People were requested compulsory delivery of their kitchenwares made of steel/aluminum/brass, watches, bells, bronze statues, platinum ring as metal resorces. Even cats and dogs were dedicated to the government as fur material.
There were many sad stories of boys and girls who lost their pets.

Last edited:
I would imagine that material drives went on in most of the major powers countries, Shinpachi. Children often went around collecting pots and pans, tires, etc, etc, in the U.S. for the war effort. Also, I know the U.S. and Germany had war rations for common goods like sugar, coffee, gas, etc. I imagine the UK, Japan, and other powers did as well.

The war effort for all countries was the #1 priority for almost ever aspect of daily living for many countries so I completely agree with you. I have never heard of cats and dogs being used for fur so I thank you for telling us about this.

One of the most gruesome was the use of shaved concentration camp victims' hair for use as insulation in clothing for U-boat crewmembers.

Shortage of nickel was fatal for the crankshaft of Kawasaki Ha-40 engine(copy of DB-601).
The shaft was said broken after 80-100hours running.

East Indies Nickel Production.
http://www.eca-watch.org/problems/asia_pacific/indonesia/japan_inco.pdf
it is estimated that as much as 27,000 tons of nickel were produced in 1942, and 58,000 tons in 1944
Apparently this wasn't enough to meet Japanese requirements.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/australia/oceania_pol01.jpg
Why didn't Japan seize New Caledonia during May 1942 rather then piddling around in New Guinea? New Caledonia was one of the largest nickel producers.

East Indies Nickel Production.
http://www.eca-watch.org/problems/asia_pacific/indonesia/japan_inco.pdf

Apparently this wasn't enough to meet Japanese requirements.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/australia/oceania_pol01.jpg
Why didn't Japan seize New Caledonia during May 1942 rather then piddling around in New Guinea? New Caledonia was one of the largest nickel producers.

Have you looked at a map, New Caldonia is stuck out in the middle of the ocean, with Austrailia being the closes land mass. It'd have to be a strictly sea born invasion, it's well out of range of any possible air support from any Japanese land air bases. If they couldn't take Guadalcanal, they certainly had no chance taking New Caldonia.
If the battle of the Coral sea had ended in their favor, New Caldonia was in their later plans, but taking New Caldonia without taking New Guinea, the Solomons and then the New Hebrides, first just don't seem possible.

" Piddling around in New Guinea" ???

Last edited:
The nickel shortage was serious even before WW2 and Japan was unique in adding copper to armour as a substitute for some nickel www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a955281.pdf. Molybdenum was produced in Korea and seems to have been added to armour pre-war. The US text argues that this was to compensate for a nickel shortage but it has been argued that British homogeneous armour had a similar composition.

I once found a book written by a Japanese engineer, "The Romance of Engines" by Takashi Suzuki, which claimed that the problem with the Ha-40 crankshaft was the heat treatment of the crankshaft pin The romance of engines - Takashi Suzuki - Google Books. Suzuki seems to argue that, at least initially, the Japanese alloys contained the same nickel content as the German alloys.

What other raw materials were in such short supply that lower performance had to be accepted? For example, chromium was produced in both French Indochina and in the Philippines. Was enough produced so that this did not cause a problem until late 1944?

ps. The best opportunity to take New Caledonia might have been late 1940 by landing a joint Japanese - Vichy force from Indochina to "reestablish French control".

joint Japanese - Vichy force from Indochina to "reestablish French control".
France would never agree to Japanese troops on French soil unless they had no choice.

However Japan might have approached the issue differently. France had few friends after July 1940. They could have courted France as an ally rather then taking advantage of Mers-el-Kébir to occupy Indochina. 1941 France might have bartered nickel in exchange for badly needed weapons and ammunition to defend places like Syria and Dakar.

In late June, 1940 the Conseil General of New Caldonia decided to support the Free French, and shipped the Vichy supporting governor off to Indochina, so they'd already aligned themselves with the Allies before WW2 started in the Pacific.

Opportunity knocks for those willing to seize the moment.

The New Caledonia garrison consisted of a single infantry battalion. The Free French take over was not popularly supported and there was talk of a revolt to restore French rule.

1940 Japan was the amphibious warfare expert. They could offer to transport a French infantry division from Vietnam to New Caledonia. In return France would sign an economic treaty that offered Japan first right to purchase raw materials produced in French overseas colonies. A secret protocol would require France to close the rail line between the Port of Haiphong and KMT China, eliminating the need for Japan to tie down an infantry corps and a considerable quantity of airpower occupying Indochina.

France and Japan both come out ahead in this arrangement. KMT China gets screwed but that's not a French problem.

I once found a book written by a Japanese engineer, "The Romance of Engines" by Takashi Suzuki, which claimed that the problem with the Ha-40 crankshaft was the heat treatment of the crankshaft pin. Suzuki seems to argue that, at least initially, the Japanese alloys contained the same nickel content as the German alloys.

Thanks for your introduction of "The Romance of Engines" by Takashi Suzuki, cherry blossom, as I did not know his book.
Suzuki's opinion is unique. I wish to read the book entirely in my local library in the near future.

BTW, did he comment anything about another Japanese copy of DB-601, Atsuta, manufactured by Aichi Aircraft?
Atsuta had no such crankshaft trouble. Of course, it contained nickel.

What other raw materials were in such short supply that lower performance had to be accepted?

It was molybdenum.
There was an excuse that they could not produce hi-octane fuel because of its shortage.

Rubber was in short supply...gaskets and other engine components that contained rubber where often made from substandard substitutes. My father was assigned to a team that was tasked with the problem of finding substitutes for gasket materials...because of the rubber shortage.

Japan shouldn't have had much of a rubber shortage. It had occupied or was allies with most of the rubber suppliers of the world. Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand all had a lot of rubber plantations.
Of course, getting that rubber to Japan, in the last few years of the war, would have been a problem.

Has anyone ever seen a map with Japanese resource objectives in WWII?
Oil in Borneo & Sumatra, rubber &;tin in Malaysia, etc, but I'm wondering if anyone's seen a full list or map of what they were planning to get?

I found this article, but didn't see image linked

WWII Resource Map Found

Users who are viewing this thread

Back