Japanese WWII aircraft instrument collection:

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeromewhite

Recruit
Aug 7, 2012
Does anyone have any idea of where I can have these appraised or have any idea of what they are worth? They are all 'collected' by a US B29 navigator (my father in law) on Tinian in January of 1945 and stored in a dry eastern Oregon basement for sixty years!

I know what each of them are and what planes they went in thanks to the 'gunsight' website and have a detailed list and many more photos.

MC_pic 2.jpg
TBI 1_pic 1.jpg
ASI 1_pic 1.jpg
ASI 2_pic 1.jpg
DG_pic 1.jpg
INCL_pic 2.jpg
LG_pic 1.jpg
Tach 1_pic 1.jpg
Tach 2_pic 1.jpg

Also I would like to mention that the site is non-profit one and trading here
without Admin's permission isn't allowed !!!

I understand that this is not a trading site. We are trying to determine a value for donation to an appropriate museum. One that is hopefully restoring a plane that would be on display for all to see.
The museums I have talked with can not evaluate value due to potential conflicts with the IRS; the IRS considers it collusion.

Great pictures, value on that stuff is so hard to determane, to a collecter it could be worth lots. To a restorer of aircraft even more. To the average person not much. Only suggestion I could give you is to monitor for simular items on ebay and watch how the prices go when they close out.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information and the link. I am beginning to see that the IRS deduction value for donation to a museum or restorer may not be worth the trouble and cost of having them appraised. We will probably donate directly to a museum if his descendants are willing to part with these pieces of family history.

Jerome

Last edited:
You are welcome, Jerome.

Here is my little advice for your future consideration.
There is a way to make them more worth than mere relics but fewer collectors notice it.
Disassemble, take accurate measurements to make 3-view drawings and publish.

Shinpachi - What do you mean by 3-view? Isometric (3-dimensional) detail drawings? Of what value would such drawings be to the greater public?

Sorry if I may have placed you in confusion, Jeromewhite.

There are people who are interested in collecting vintage meters but, on the other hand, there are also such people who are interested in the mechanism and want to reproduce them if possible. No data about the Japanese old meters at all.

Meter.JPG

Shinpachi,

Thank you for the clarification. I have a few questions and a comment:

1. What is the appropriate way to address a person such as yourself in my post/reply?

2. What computer program was used to generate the 3-view drawings and image that you posted? 3-D studio? Vellum?

3. The idea is of interest to me as it satisfies my German genetics. I grew up in Detroit Michigan (USA), and paid my way through university in my younger years by detailing automotive engines and engine parts for the Ford Motor Company. However, that was in the days of pencil drafting with computers just looming on the horizon. I am now an Architect, and work strictly in AutoCad, so I am very familiar with computer drawing (albeit with certain computer programs).

Your humble respondent,

Jerome

Thanks Jerome for your kind response and question.

1. You may call me Shinpachi though my true name is Fumiyuki Nagakura.
The Shinpachi comes from a historical Samurai who related to my family.
2. I am using two softwares, Shade 6 for CGI and JWW for CAD. Both are Japanese products of ten years ago.
This time, it was by Shade 6.
3. I think any tool is good, even the pencil drafting. It is amazing that you can manipulate AutoCad. That is perfect.

Hello Jerome,
I stumbled across this site and I am in a somewhat similar position as you in that my father was a WWII Army Aircore fighter pilot (mostly P38's) and when he passed, I found two of these same instruments and one that is not in this lot. I believe I know what they do i.e., the bank indicator and the air speed indicator, as well as what I believe is an altitude indicator. You mentioned that you know what these instruments came from. I tried to find a 'gunsite' website, but so far I have had no luck. Any chance you could explain? Or anyone else who might care to chime in here...
Thanks, Don Fera
Does anyone have any idea of where I can have these appraised or have any idea of what they are worth? They are all 'collected' by a US B29 navigator (my father in law) on Tinian in January of 1945 and stored in a dry eastern Oregon basement for sixty years!

I know what each of them are and what planes they went in thanks to the 'gunsight' website and have a detailed list and many more photos.

View attachment 208596View attachment 208597View attachment 208598View attachment 208599View attachment 208600View attachment 208601View attachment 208602View attachment 208603View attachment 208604

Users who are viewing this thread

Back