Japanese Zero vs Spitfire vs FW 190

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok Stig1207, so lets talk about this disparity in numbers, as it pertains to Aces.
S

You have quoted my response to Dan Fahey, discussing this USAAF fighter victories Nothing to do with aces.

So I would say this is evidence (not proof but evidence) that your suggestion that British Tomahawk Aces (or British Aces flying any other aircraft) in the Western Desert weren't actually Aces is basically groundless.

Where did I suggest this?

I don't think that the over claiming was any higher than anywhere else. in the war. Here are the figures from Hurricanes Over the Sands, vol 1.

30 sqd 26 claims 15-20 verified post war 60-80%

33 Sqd 213 claims 60% verified

73 Sqd 117 claims 65-75% verified

80 Sqd 195 claims 50% verified

Over all average is above 50% which is not too bad.

I don't think that the overclaiming was higher than anywhere else, but nor was it lower. My assertion was merely that when assessing how successful a particular aircraft was, in this case the Tomahawk, that if the number of victories is not high, a couple of hundred, then dividing them with the usual rate of overclaiming of 2-3,
then the actual success is rather less than the percieved.

I don't think that the overclaiming was higher than anywhere else, but nor was it lower. My assertion was merely that when assessing how successful a particular aircraft was, in this case the Tomahawk, that if the number of victories is not high, a couple of hundred,

There was a relatively small number of Tomahawk victories because there were a relatively small number of Tomahawks in action for a relatively short time. At the peak in the Summer of 1941 there were three Tomahawk squdarons (112 RAF, 250 RAF, and 3 RAAF)

By Winter of 1941/42 112 RAF and 250 RAF were phasing out Tomahawks in favor of Kittyhawks, while 2 and 5 SAAF got Tomahawks. 3 RAAF switched from Tomahawk to Kittyhakws in Nov 1942.

So the unit strength of Tomahawks in the Western Desert ranged from a high of roughly 30- 36 in late 1941 down to 20-24 by fall of 1942 and I think after that it was just the one South African squadron of 10-12 aircraft (ideally, assuming close to full serviceability - more often it was 7 or 8 aircraft per mission).

then dividing them with the usual rate of overclaiming of 2-3,
then the actual success is rather less than the percieved.

I don't know what you mean by "overclaiming of 2-3" but if you mean 200-300% then I don't think there is any evidence for that. Specifically with the Aces as I showed it looks like on that particular day of Nov 22 1941 they underclaimed and the Luftwaffe were the ones doing fairly substantial overclaiming.

As for how impressive it was, it's largely a matter of claims to loss ratios. 112 RAF claimed 36 victories with Tomahawks, 3 RAAF claimed 41 victories with Tomahawks. I don't know their precise number of losses during the time they had Tomahawks but I don't believe it's anywhere near that many. We probably need to open a new thread for this though since you are so adamant.

Last edited:
I would love to see a chart, if someone could provide it, showing a breakdown of speed and climb at three altitudes (sea level, 10,000 ft, 25,000 ft) for the following:

Spit Va - 9 lbs boost
Spit Vb - 9 lbs boost
Spit Vb - 12 lbs boost
Spit Vb - 16 lbs boost
Spit VC / 4 - 9 lbs boost
Spit VC / 2 - 9 lbs boost
Spit VC / 4 - 12 lbs boost
Spit VC / 2 - 12 lbs boost
Spit VC / 2 LF - 12 lbs boost
Spit VC / 2 - 16 lbs boost
Spit VC / 2 LF - 16 lbs boost

Basically what we're lookin' at ...

vev.jpg

Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45) +9, +12 and +16 boost
Spitfire Vc (Merlin 46) +9, +12 and +16 boost
Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45M) +18 boost

vec.jpg

Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45) +9 boost 2850 rpm
Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45) +12 boost 3000 rpm

Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45M) +18 boost 3000 rpm

Last edited:
For the first chart, what is the difference between Green and purple? I'm missing something. Both say Spit VC / Merlin 45...?

Spit V with 45M seems like quite a beast!

Am I missing something - cannon-armed Spitfire V making more than 380 mph?

Basically what we're lookin' at ...

View attachment 563921
Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45) +9, +12 and +16 boost
Spitfire Vc (Merlin 46) +9, +12 and +16 boost
Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45M) +18 boost

View attachment 563922
Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45) +9 boost 2850 rpm
Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45) +12 boost 3000 rpm

Spitfire Vc (Merlin 45M) +18 boost 3000 rpm

I'd still like to know where the 52mph the Darwin MkV's lost went?.

When testing the universal wing on a MkVc it did 374 mph with 8 brownings, 374 with 4 Hispano's, that was with 9 psi boost.

We also have a test where it did 359 on +9 psi here; 369 mph at 13000 ft on +16 psi boost.
The fit & finish problems surfacing out in 1942?

The figures I used are from data sheets and correspondence between big wigs discussing the new clipped-and-cropped Spitfires. They're more to illustrate the differences between the three engines/boost levels than to show exactly what airframe No. XYYYY did.

Last edited:
The figures I used are from data sheets and correspondence between big wigs discussing the new clipped-and-cropped Spitfires. They're more to illustrate the differences between the three engines/boost levels than to show exactly what airframe No. XYYYY did.

I'm not talking about a single airframe, but about whole Spitfire V series with Merlin 46 engine - of seven aircraft listed at the table I've linked, neither was able to make 370 mph between 20000 and 22600 ft, let alone going beyond 380. The ones outfitted with float-type carb were barely making 360 mph.

You would get a variation of 5 mph between 4 planes in the same squadron so 370+ is a fair number.

Agreed pretty much.

I'm not talking about a single airframe, but about whole Spitfire V series with Merlin 46 engine - of seven aircraft listed at the table I've linked, neither was able to make 370 mph between 20000 and 22600 ft, let alone going beyond 380. The ones outfitted with float-type carb were barely making 360 mph.

You have to take into consideration that there really wasn't a ''standard'' MkV, they had three different engines, three different boost ratings, two different rev limits, two different exhaust systems, about four different configurations, both float and injector carbs, fared and unfared mirrors, fixed and whip aerials and by 43 they were getting tired, by 44 they were worn out. When you add a few mph with fishtails and a injector carb then subtract a few from poor paint finish and a fixed aerial there's big differences between them.

Yeah taking all of the variables out, I wonder what the math says a Merlin 46 Spitfire should do, given known values with a Merlin 45.

My Merlin horsepower/height data is pretty spartan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back