Jet exhausts....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
....how do replicate this, with acrylics?

IMG_20180224_110151.jpg

IMG_20180224_110124.jpg

The easiest way would be to buy a matalizer titled - burnt steel or iron. If I were you I would paint the exhaust with a silver or steel oil enamel. Then I would use the acrylic colours and Q-tips. If you insist on the acrylic paints only. You may use the metalic ones too as the background. But then apply the gloss clear varnish before using other colours for the weathering.

Yep. I did just that on the MiG shown in the other thread.
As this didn't have the coloured effect, various 'tints' of metal colours were applied, - silver mixed with black and shades of brown - and a gloss varnish applied over the top. A little Tamiya 'Smoke' was also brushed on in small areas.
The same can be done with enamels or acrylics, mixing blue and red with silver, and applying in the same way, building the 'discolouration' to suit.

MiG 21 283.jpg

Jan , MiG-21s that were in service did't look that bad as the 6913 usually. The extreme weathering could happen if a plane was damaged and was withdrown from flights for longer time untill she was repaired. In a such case the plane could have been kept under "a cloud" what was the reason for the weathering. Also if the service life was about the end or expired before the plane could be sent for overhauling. So being kept outside for long time the weathering was getting more and more noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back