JG 3 Emblems

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Question for some of the experts out there, Ive started reading Prien's first two books on JG 3, In English of course. Unfortuently only the first two books of the series are in English. The orginal 4 set is in German. Any way Ive been working on the emblems of JG 3 and hit a road block.

Im just a hobbiest and was wondering if any one can help me fill in the blanks on the document I created below or correct any mistakes. Im sure I have a few.

Corrections very much welcome along with additions. I think I have the dragons out of order or labeled wrong some where.

Thanks in advance Micdrow

Ok, here is some more info Ive been able to come up with. Any thoughts, ideas or corrections or add on's. Any one have a Luftwaffe emblems book and scan the image order for JG 3 please.

Thanks again
Micdrow

Am I getting any closer, Awfully Quiet. Or that bad off LOL :oops:

Micdrow

Attachments

• Jg-3 Markings.pdf
    94.5 KB · Views: 407
let me make brief comment ..........

your IV. gruppe emblem is completely wrong, that was for the Geschwader stab of JG 300 only a goof-ball design by Walter (over-claiming) Dahl.

Iv./JG 3 flying Bf 109G-6's in 43 and in spring of 44 used the "main emblem" and in May-late July on the blue-black cowlings of the Sturm-Fw's of IV.Sturm/JG 3, then all markings including emblems were removed from the SturmFw's leaving them plain and ugly though sinister.

the white Rumpf band (fuselage) was carried on 109's and Fw 190's from January 44 till fall of 44 and then removed when JG 3 went to defend Berlin in it's death throes.

let me make brief comment ..........

your IV. gruppe emblem is completely wrong, that was for the Geschwader stab of JG 300 only a goof-ball design by Walter (over-claiming) Dahl.

Iv./JG 3 flying Bf 109G-6's in 43 and in spring of 44 used the "main emblem" and in May-late July on the blue-black cowlings of the Sturm-Fw's of IV.Sturm/JG 3, then all markings including emblems were removed from the SturmFw's leaving them plain and ugly though sinister.

the white Rumpf band (fuselage) was carried on 109's and Fw 190's from January 44 till fall of 44 and then removed when JG 3 went to defend Berlin in it's death throes.

Thank's Erich,

I knew there were mistakes. Unfortuentely for me I am very limited in resources on JG 3. Very hard topic to find info on especialy in English. Any suggestions on book's to read on the topic. I have Priens first two books but it does not look like they are going to convert the last two book's.

I will make up a rear drawing for a Fw-190. Gives me more stuff to add and improve on drawing's and chance to change the IV's group emblem. Will update it when I get more finished. It doesnt seem to be very much interest in this fighter group as in say JG 53 or JG 26 in the English reading world it seems. Guess it goes to par for me, pick one of the hardest units to research.

Thanks again Micdrow

translating and final publication takes a great deal of time sometimes years.......

do not despair

go give my web-site a look through and you will plenty of SturmFw pics and some profiles for your tastes, just go through the links slowly so you do not miss anything

Thanks Erich,

Really appreciate it, Just found your link to the web sight. Looks very cool, have to work tonight but will go through it after work.

Thanks again

Micdrow

Thanks rochie

But unfortuently this link is the one that started all my questions. Ive found some errors in some of there emblems. At least I believe so. Reason why I started this thread.

Example: The unit shield of JG 3 is the wrong shape. The one posted there has a cresent moon dip across the top. Every picture Ive seen has a straight across line instead. With studing the books that I bought Ive found that there is also a red dot under the shield so Im trying to figure out where exactly that took place.

I actually like Erich approach with me. Gives hints but leave's it for me to figure out unless Im way out there or in wrong direction. Makes it interesting and keeps me on my toes. Dont get me wrong I will take all the help I can get but I am also finding out that alot on the the internet is mislabeled and in some cases completely wrong. So beware what you are reading LOL. Lot of good stuff and right stuff out there also.

My dragons or worms are the wrong color also which means I need to repaint all of them again. Im currently looking for a luftwaffe color paint chart to get samples to change them to closer to what they should be. Only one I have the right color is white LOL.

Found a couple more emblems but will keep that quiet for a while till next post.

Have lots to do and well work is busy so workin on it when I have time. It will get updated.

Thanks for everyone's help and hope it keeps up. Questions welcome also

Thanks Micdrow

Ok well, here is the new post I promised, Hopefully Ive corrected in the right direction. Know there are more emblems out there. May have some colors wrong. Any new comments. I know Erich probably has a few :oops: Waiting for the beating :lol:

Hum, weird how the colors distort when I convert it to PDF format from word document

Thanks Micdrow

Attachments

• Jg-3 Markings.pdf
    122.9 KB · Views: 252
looking much better

I am not real sure if there was a white comet and a yellow comet emblem in III./JG 3. The white fuselage bands came into effect in January 44 during the Reichs defense and then slowly eliminated for the Fw 190's in August of 44. 109 gruppen kept them into the fall of 44 and then disbanded them.

The IV. th gruppe wing was actually the overall symbol for the whole JG 3 Geschwader.

there, that didn't hurt much did it ?

looking much better

there, that didn't hurt much did it ?

Nope it didnt, many thanks, Im not sure on the comet either. Ive seen a couple of profiles out there with both colors. Trying to figure that one out. Was hoping some one would know on the comet for sure.

Im also trying to figure out the Eye on the gun cowling of the bf-109, currently looking for pictures to see if it really was an emblem or just a personal emblem.

I also found today that I need another Udet emblem with the red dot. Seems the U can go both ways at least for II/JG 3 Just need time to do it.

Seems I still have more questions then answers or time. I want to do cowling colors also when I get more time. Cant wait till Christmas, Have whole week off so hoping to get lots done then.

Thanks again for the help

Micdrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back