JG 52 nickname?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PFF

Airman
Oct 21, 2007
Did JG 52 have an unofficial nickname-"The Butcherbirds":?:

Butcher Birds was the nickname given to the Fw 190.

Each Group, Squadron and so forth had its own name.

I. Gruppe: Wilde Sau
II. Gruppe/5. Squadron: Rabatz Staffel
III. Gruppe: Rabuakan Gruppe

I am sure there were much more, but I do not recall them.

Interesting side note, I have found Erich Hartmanns (he was in JG 52) gravesite and I will be going to see it next time I go and visit my mother, probably next weekend. It is about 20 minutes from her house.

Also not a member of JG-52 but Hans-Ulrich Rudel is buried about 20 minutes from my house and I am going to make a trip out to his grave site as well.

I will post pictures.

You didn't mention the name of the town or area. Looking forward to the
pic's.

Charles

Hartmann is buried near where my mother lives in the town of Weil im Schönbuch. I should be going there this weekend, unless my mother comes to stay with us.

Rudel is buried near the town of Guenzenhausen which is about 20 minutes from where I live.

Within the next two weeks I will make it here.

I hope that their graves are in good shape and not vandalised(?)...

Here is a picture I found online of what Hartmanns looks like. He is buried with his wife.

Below it is Rudels grave.

Like I said, I will get pictures of them myself when I get out to them in the very near future.

Attachments

• hartmann.jpg
    hartmann.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 179
  • rudel5kl.jpg
    rudel5kl.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 167
I have another enquiry concerning JG 52. Where could I find a complete list (or at least almost complete) of JG 52 pilots during BoB?
Any ideas?

I can't wait to see the pics you take Adler. I'm having a hard time making out Rudel's headstone. It may be all the Canadian Wiskey I've drank tonight or just the image. (I have had a real bad day as I am posting this at 1:37 am and drank a 1/5th of Canadian Hunter) Can anyone post what it says.

"Canadian Whisky shall only be consumed between the hours of 5pm and 11pm or this will happen to you"

no, it really says;

it gives his rank - "Oberst"
and his position - "Geschwaderkommodore"
and his unit - "Immelmann" which would be StG 2.

directly under his name is the birth and death. Looks like

29/9/16 - 12/9/82?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back