Johnnie johnson's Spitfire MkXIV MV268

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
ok guys, looking for any more info on MV268, i have 1 dodgy looking picture to go on (JEJ lettering looks a bit suspicious to me ?)
i am sure i have discussed this before but cannot find the thread.

so looking for answers to.

clipped or round wing tips ?
JE J either side of roundel or JEJ in front of roundel and round wing tips.

G-SPIT that is flying now has the codes JE J either side of roundel but attached pic is all together before the roundel and clipped wings.
any idea how genuine the below picture is anybody ?

your thoughts and contributions are greatly appreciated

27143879467_6eb3b1b99a_z.jpg

source: internet

Last edited:
interestingly on at least one edition of "wing Leader" his MkXIV is pictured as a High back version ?????

you'd think the top scoring Allied pilot in the ETO would have more pictures of his aircraft kicking around .

I think there may be something in the Osprey 'Late Marque Spitfire Aces' book - I know there's definitely at least on profile.
I'll check it out when I get home on Sunday.

I think there may be something in the Osprey 'Late Marque Spitfire Aces' book - I know there's definitely at least on profile.
I'll check it out when I get home on Sunday.
cheers dogsbody, i might get chance tonight when i get home from work (yes i am working right now :lol)
i am sure you are correct it is in that book and going from memory it is a low back version in the profile.
most other anecdotal evidence i have read also indicates JEJ in front of the Roundels.

From memory, I think he started with a XIVc high back, with codes JE-J, then got the 'new' low back XIVe, with codes JEJ, the latter code format being fairly common for higher ranks. For example 'Jas' Storrar had JAS on his P-51, and Baron Michael Donet also had his initials, in a single block, on his Mustang.

Damn!, not clipped wings...
I didn't know this photo while completing my MV268 (around 2006).
lXyhc2A.jpg

v8amxRx.jpg

Notice that propeller blades should have yellow tips, and RAF roundels yellow borders (not visible on historic photo because of different photo negative film used)

That would be orthochromatic film, which really messes with colours in black and white! yellow appears as black, while the dark blue of the roundels appears lighter than the red centres.

Damn!, not clipped wings...
I didn't know this photo while completing my MV268 (around 2006).
lXyhc2A.jpg

View attachment 546071

Notice that propeller blades should have yellow tips, and RAF roundels yellow borders (not visible on historic photo because of different photo negative film used)
yes it is most definitely not 100% proven it was clipped or rounded tips :rolleyes:

interestingly on at least one edition of "wing Leader" his MkXIV is pictured as a High back version ?????

you'd think the top scoring Allied pilot in the ETO would have more pictures of his aircraft kicking around .
Resp:
No kills in this late Mark, reason for few photos?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back