Johnnie johnson's Spitfire MkXIV MV268

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's worth remembering Karl, that G-SPIT/ MV268 is actually MV293, so shouldn't really be used as a basis on which to model one of Johnson's aircraft.

48385501336_74d714e23d_b.jpg
MV293

Same aeroplane.

Also, just to confuse, MV266 was a high back XIV (EB*J, flown by Sqn Ldr John Shepard, OC 41 Sqn).

Some info here

RAFCommands Archive :: Bubble hood Spitfire XIV

and also here , post #6: 41 sqn on 1st May 1945 - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

"Sgt. Bødtker's kill was the last kill made by a Norwegian pilot during the war.He flew NH832 EB-V on this mission.From his logbook,I have the following serial nos./code tie-up's: SM820 EB-N (later changed to P).This plane had the new "tear-drop" canopy.RM928 was EB-U.MV264 EB-Q (t.d. hood) and MV266 EB-J. Also tear-drop hood......"

However it might be true that the MV266 was the high back Spitfire Mk.XIV. The MV265 also seems to be of the same type of the fuselage. However most known images of the MV batch shows the series being of the "bubble canopy". I have found pics of the MV259, MV263 (code CCK) and MV264 (code EB-Q) with the tear drop shape canopy. But I have seen a footage with a high back Spit Mk.XIV seems to be coded EB-Q. Of course, it could be another plane with the code letters but of the different serial or she was rebuilt to the late version. See below.

EB-Q_MV264_was_a_Spitfire_Mark_XIVe.jpg

the pic source: https://www.cafsocal.com/our-aircrafts/our-aircraft-and-history/supermarine-spitfire-mk-xiv/

It's worth remembering Karl, that G-SPIT/ MV268 is actually MV293, so shouldn't really be used as a basis on which to model one of Johnson's aircraft.

View attachment 546253MV293

Same aeroplane.

Also, just to confuse, MV266 was a high back XIV (EB*J, flown by Sqn Ldr John Shepard, OC 41 Sqn).
oh yes i understood that.

i was talking about the way they painted G-SPIT up to look like MV268 :lol:

Just found the image of MV267 taken in 1952. It had the "bubble canopy".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back