ju-88vs b-25vs b-26

Ju 88 or B-25 or B-26

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I tend to agree with DonL that the Do 217 is a closer comparison in class to the B-25/26. It would have been interesting to see how it would have fared had it been RAF/USAAF instead of LW. The defensive armament would have probably been upgraded but not sure what else and it would have been at least as effective as the US ships.

Apples and oranges; medium bomber; B-26, most versatile (of those three); Ju 88, low level strike; B-25. If I was to choose a 'Best Medium Bomber of the War' however, it'd be the Mosquito.

It's a tough call, I echo the sentiments of others here, all three were excellent aircraft in their own right and had sterling combat records, although the claim that the Ju 88 was a failure in the BoB is not strictly true; the Ju 88 performed the roles asked of it very well - it proved a good bomber and anti-shipping aircraft, it's biggest failure was in common with all other German bombers at that time in its inadequate defensive armament. During the battle, the Ju 88 proved to be the hardest German bomber to shoot down; once it's load had been dropped, it frequently demonstrated why the Germans called it the schnellbomber.

Last edited:
IIRC Ju88 units suffered heavier losses than He 111 and Do 17 units during the BoB but it might well be because they flew the most difficult sorties in the later part of the BoB.

Juha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back