Junker Ju-87G Stuka Color Help Needed (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I recently bought a Revell Stuka Ju-87G-1 kit. The paint callouts are basically useless. I ordered a set of decals that I would like to use with this kit and need some help on paint colors. I will be building the G-1 bottom plane. But I have never done a single Luftwaffe aircraft before.

The Revell callouts are as follows:

Black Green - German
Blue
Brown
Dark Gray
Dark Green
Flat Black
Gunmetal
Light Blue
White
Yellow

As you can see they are basically useless. Also they don't match the one for the decals I am using anyway.

Is there a good reference to look up this particular aircraft that would have color info?

Thanks in advance!

ec98-color-cover.gif

Another good site is this one though it doesn't have as many paint options as the one Andy posted. Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part I I usually combine the 2 when I'm looking for a color. The nice thing about the the paint4models site is it has an RGB section, I've used it to print mottels and they were a very close match to the paint I was using
I never thought of using RGB values, but it would work well provided my color reference was accurate. Great tip! I will definitely use that bit of info! By the way the Ultimate Chart has partial RBG values as well. But they are pretty thin on that part.

I have them both bookmarked, great tools. I have been using mostly Vallejo and Tamiya paints but am gradually buying MRP Paints going forward. I tried a bottle of their yellow which I always have trouble getting good coverage with from Tamiya or Vallejo and was blown away with how well it covered. They are lacquers, not acrylics, but now that my spray booth is setup permanently I am not so worried about the smells. I always liked the way Testors and Model Masters enamels laid down, and these feel very much like that except they are much thinner right out of the bottle for airbrushing. Have not tried brush painting with them yet however.

If twer me I'd make the interior RLM 02, Grau.

It's a tricky one. The earliest conversions were from D series aircraft and were made in early 1943, joining front line units in April that year for tactical testing*. I think that by this date the interior colour would have been RLM 66.

* Initial testing by 'Versuchsverband fur Panzerbekamfung' (Experimental anti tank Command), later the two staffeln becoming the 'Panzerjagerstaffel' of St.G. 1 and St.G. 2.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks guys! I will order some RLM66. Would that include spaces like the interior of the wheel wells as well. Hah say that 5 times quickly!

Nope. Just the cockpit interior, anything visible through the perspex from the outside. Any other interior surfaces would be unpainted or RLM 02 (that would include wheel wells....if you can find any ;) )

Those colours look okay. RLM 65 was distinctly blue. RLM 66 was a very dark grey with a very slightly blueish hue.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, I have a Stuka torpedo bomber too
No wheel wells, Robert, the Stuka landing gear was fixed. As to paint, the only difference is that I use Model Master Acryl paint. The Model Master jars can be screwed directly onto my airbrush so paint wastage is reduced

Thanks Steve, I have a Stuka torpedo bomber too
No wheel wells, Robert, the Stuka landing gear was fixed. As to paint, the only difference is that I use Model Master Acryl paint. The Model Master jars can be screwed directly onto my airbrush so paint wastage is reduced
D'oh! I knew that, or at least I should have. I do have some RLM02 as well. So will use that where needed.

Nope. Just the cockpit interior, anything visible through the perspex from the outside. Any other interior surfaces would be unpainted or RLM 02 (that would include wheel wells....if you can find any ;) )

Those colours look okay. RLM 65 was distinctly blue. RLM 66 was a very dark grey with a very slightly blueish hue.

Cheers

Steve
Oddly enough can't find the wheel wells. You think my kit might be defective? Or me! :salute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back