Just Think

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
This is not only a remarkable shot, but all three of those airplanes are privately owned. Recall Adm Yamamoto saying that invading the USA was impossible because "There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."? Well, we got some pretty damn big blades of grass.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 16-13-31 FLJ022024.pdf.png

Comfort was seldom a factor in combat aircraft design! But agree with Miflyer about canopies in flight.
I've never been airborne in an 86 or a Hun but have flown in other military jets including A-6 and F-15. I'm to tell ya: the Merlin's sound is LOTS better than any jet!

I never fly my Ercoupe with the canopy closed all the way.

Of course the Right side is stuck now and won't come up all the way, but before that I still did not close them all the way almost all of the time.

I wonder which of those is the most comfortable plane to fly? I imagine the P-51 would be noisiest.
Comfortable? Strangely, that is a factor. Mind you, I think that there is comfortable as-in "safe/relaxed" and comfortable as-in "numb bum". I don't think any of these would class as relaxed. I was excited flying in a Mustang, but it is LOUD. I think a good F-86 is described as nice to fly, and I am sure the Hun has been described as exciting. So, I am going to guess the F-86 would be the most "comfortable" to me.

Eng

I wanted to avoid saying "ergonomics". I've thought about what would it be like to fly those wonderful aircraft. I wonder what it was like having to spend a dozen hours in these things. Was it the exhilaration of being one with machine, soaring through the heavens or was it like being stuck in a duraluminum Iron Maiden?
The Hun was too thrilling on take off for me, based on my less than extensive research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back