Kawanishi H6K Mavis flying boat v Blenheim IF long range fighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The H6K had an Achilles Heel like most flying boats - no lower turrets because of the hull.
The best attack solution would be a climbing attack from astern (rear gunner can't depress the cannon far enough).

Also, like most flying boats, the bulk of their fuel is stored in the hull.
As with the Sunderland, the countermeasure would be to fly near sea level.

Ah, copy that, I misunderstood you. My mistake.

I vaguely remember reading something somewhere that stated the Dutch/Indonesians had one or two operational post-war?

Ah, Yup. answered my own question...

"Air Service Volunteer Corps - A single H6K5 flying boat was restored to flight by Indonesian forces during the Indonesian War of Independence."

Picture:

From here:

nuuumannn nuuumannn could be in this book?
It says that one H6K2-L was found by british forces in an hangar in Java with indonesian markings but with no operational record of use or if it flew at all with them. It was painted with british markings and flown to Singapore and no more is told about it.

The L denoted a transport aircraft but at least one Mavis survived the war.

Screenshot_2021-12-02-13-48-41-24_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

t says that one H6K2-L was found by british forces in an hangar in Java with indonesian markings but with no operational record of use or if it flew at all with them. It was painted with british markings and flown to Singapore and no more is told about it.

Possibly Azul, although the passage that Graeme has found above suggests they are two different aircraft?
Taking a quick look in Butler's War Prizes, the entries don't clarify matters much, but hint at the two aircraft in the images are in fact the same machine, the book stating that the ATAIU flew an H6K, which was found at Surabaya and was made airworthy by 3210 Servicing Commando, it was marked in Indonesian markings and was flown to RAF Seletar, Singapore where it survived for some time, apparently its hull was used as a floating headquarters by the local RAF sailing club. A couple of pages away is the images above that Graeme posted, the bottom one commonly appearing in references on the type and describing the painting of the blue stripe on the fuselage flash by the Dutch.

Possibly Azul, although the passage that Graeme has found above suggests they are two different aircraft?
Taking a quick look in Butler's War Prizes, the entries don't clarify matters much, but hint at the two aircraft in the images are in fact the same machine, the book stating that the ATAIU flew an H6K, which was found at Surabaya and was made airworthy by 3210 Servicing Commando, it was marked in Indonesian markings and was flown to RAF Seletar, Singapore where it survived for some time, apparently its hull was used as a floating headquarters by the local RAF sailing club. A couple of pages away is the images above that Graeme posted, the bottom one commonly appearing in references on the type and describing the painting of the blue stripe on the fuselage flash by the Dutch.
And Air International...

View attachment 650185
Indeed, the photo in "Japanese aircraft in foreign service" is the same that the lower in Graeme Graeme post, only differs on who found it.

Regarding the final use of the Mavis, very appropiated that ended as a RAF yachting club base!

Apparently speed has little to do with the combat. Elsewhere on this forum are accounts of B-17s and B-24s attacking Japanese flying boats with less than the desired results by the US crews. Reminded me of old sailing ships broad siding each other.
Well the Blenheim would need an appreciative difference in speed firstly to close with the Mavis, and then secondly to manoeuvre into favourable passing attacks., while the Mavis would like a fast speed to run away. With her four gun pack I think she'd have enough hitting power to take the Mavis down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back