Ki-21 Radio Operators area

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

patsiavos

Recruit
Nov 7, 2014
Help fellow modelers...I have quite a bit of detailed information for the Ki-21 IIb. I am building a Sanger Vac-Form model. The one area that eludes me is detail for the radio operators area. Most of the details I have shows the Radio Operator sitting behind the co-pilot. However, the Maru Mechanic shows a photograph of the radio operator sitting behind the pilot and that the bulkhead behind the co-pilot. Do any of you have guidance for me?

Thanks all,

Pete Patsiavos

Now that you say it, I think you are right that the radio compartment is in the nose...

I still need to decide what to do with the space behind the pilot. To further complicate my decisions...after looking at commercial models, the space behind the pilot doesnt even match the MM. Maybe I am over thinking things. Right now, I have build a riser about 10scale inches behind the pilot. I am leaning towards placing the third crewmans seat directly behind the pilot and moving the bulkhead behind the co-pilot.
21.jpg
22.jpg
ki21cutaway.jpg

...g-uh. It only let me upload a couple of images. I am going to have to explore the site more and see what I am doing wrong.
Sorry for being such a phlebe

Ok, Here are a few of the images I am using for reference. I am a total newbie to this, so if this doesnt post correctly, please forgive me.
Currently, I have a raised area about 10 scale inches behind the pilot and co-pilot. I plan on placing the bulkhead behind the co-pilot and have the third crewman sit behind the pilot. Even though the renderings show the third seat behind the co-pilot, I have to go with the photographic evidence.
Another point of confusion is that when I have looked at commercially available model kits; it doesnt look like anything similar to the MM images. I am beginning to just try and wing it. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Pete

ki21cutaway.jpg
WP_20150411_14_41_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20150411_14_43_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20150411_14_42_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20150411_14_43_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20150411_14_43_52_Pro.jpg
22.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your nice photos, Pete.
These photos introduced in Maru Mechanic show Ki-21 model 1.

In the cockpit of model 1, there was no third seat and Commander, or Captain, sat on the co-pilot seat.
The 3rd seat of model 2 was, of course, for Commander as it was called Commander Seat.

There was no seat behind the pilot seat.
A veteran Ki-21 pilot once said Ki-21 was a modern aircraft and there was even carpet placed on the floor behind the pilot seat.
The Ki-21 was designed to be flown by minimum number of crew of 4 or 5, so each crew had multiple roles like Bomber was also a Radioman and Gunner. Even Commander handled the bomb sight too. Pilot only flew the plane.

Wish above may help.
Shinpachi

Last edited:
These two guys are probably additional crew and sitting on the wing spar as no seats/chairs for them.

Ki-21_cockpit.jpg

Last edited:
I am very greatful for your thoughtful response and willingness to share your knowledge. I will be sure to share pictures with you once I am done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back