Ki-84 and the 47th Sentai

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bakman82

Airman
Apr 30, 2012
Hi all
I'm working on a short graphic novel which stars a young JAAF Ki-84 pilot, fighting in the Home Defense in early 1945 spring (most likely april).
For my purposes the story is set over Tokyo, thus I choose the 47th Sentai for the aircrafts markings. I wandered in several books, magazines and websites to find my sources but... I still have some doubts:
1) I can't find exactly when the 47th Sentai adopted the Hayate as a replacement for the Ki-44;
2) According to my sources, the 47th Ki-84s were painted dark green on the upper surfaces. But in a couple of websites and on the Japanese magazine "Model Art Magazine" (which is unfortunately mostly in Japanese) I found some 47th Sentai color schemes where the Ki-84s are painted brown on the upper surfaces. Does anybody know when the aircrafts of this Sentai were painted brown? I prefer the brown camo, because that shade has a better graphic impact in my opinion, but I wouldn't draw anything wrong!

I hope someone will be able to help me, I wish to be as accurate as I can with this graphic novel. Thanks in advance then! :)

PS - 47th Sentai was based at Narimasu Airfield. I managed to find a couple of pictures of Narimasu, but they're nearly useless as sources because they're both close ups on aircrafts... does anybody has some Narimasu pictures to share?

1. According to the Kagero book , Monographs no.18 about Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate the 47th Sentai started rearming in January 1945. However these Ki-84s were used with their Ki-44 simultaneously at that time.

2. I have found in the same book info that all new Ki-84 were painted with the Dark Gree/Light Grey camo scheme starting with March 1944. At the turn of 1944/1945 the dark green colour was replaced by the Dark Brown one on tops. And the Light Grey was replaced with the Grey-Brown one. Taking this into considearation, it is possible the 47 Sentai could be equipped with either brand-new planes wearing the new colours on tops and undersides or assembled earlier Ki-84s and painted with the old camo scheme. ALso it is possible the unit could take over machines from another unit. In addition these new planes might have been a mix of camo schemes because a factory(ies) still could have been using paints of former supplies.
Anyway if you use the brown camo scheme it won't be a mistake methinks.

Narimasu Airfield for your references -

The airfield was constructed by order of Hideki Tojo in May 1943, later used as Grant Heights Housing Area Japan by US Forces and now Hikarigaoka Park for the local residents.

01.JPG
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.gif
09.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

You are welcome, Bakman.
The last photo was taken by a US soldier who stayed in Grant Heights Housing Area.
The scene impressed me too...

You are welcome, Bakman.
The last photo was taken by a US soldier who stayed in Grant Heights Housing Area.
The scene impressed me too...
That one reminds me of the final scene from Isao Takahata's Grave for the Fireflies (Hotaru no Haka).

About Narimasu Airfield, I would like some higher resolution photos. These you gave me are extremely valuable, because before them I had... well, almost nothing. But I would like to see some more details. :)

The first photo taken in 1936 shows Narimasu Airfield before construction.
To be given the least money for moving, local farmers were to complain Tojo's project later.
The airfield was used for training Kamikaze pilots in ending the war.

The second photo shows the Grant Heights Housing Area in 1974.

12.jpg
13_Grant_Heights 1974.jpg

Thanks again. :)

To thank you guys for the valuable help you're giving me, here's the first quick painting of the Hayate who will be the ride of my main character:
917220865f7016729372070fd1f68034-d4yajsz.jpg

Looking good. Additionally , it seems that there should be a number painted on the rudder just below the yellow part of marking.

I see. Here you are an example of the 47th Sentai "Frank" with number 46. It is a Ki-84 of the 1st Chutai, 47 Sentai what indicates the blue marking on the fin and rudder. The 2nd Chutai, 47th Sentai had the emblem of red colour and the 3rd Chutai was of yellow. So your main charcter was servicing in the 3th one.

Attachments

• Ki-84 Hayate 47 Sentai 1945_.jpg
    Ki-84 Hayate 47 Sentai 1945_.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 294
  • rudder.jpg
    rudder.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
I see. Here you are an example of the 47th Sentai "Frank" with number 46. It is a Ki-84 of the 1st Chutai, 47 Sentai what indicates the blue marking on the fin and rudder. The 2nd Chutai, 47th Sentai had the emblem of red colour and the 3rd Chutai was of yellow. So your main charcter was servicing in the 3th one.
Thank you, but I have plenty of Hayate profiles actually, and I know quite well the 47th Sentai markings. :)
As I wrote, my painting was a quickie to see how the colors match together and their graphic impact. In final art the aircraft will be more detailed and it'll have its number on the rudder. :)
I chose the 3rd chutai because the blue of the 1st is a bit dull, graphically speaking, while the red of the 2nd makes no contrast at all with the brownish camo.

@Bakman82...I like the Ki-84 picture you posted. I have always been intrigued by the home defense forces, and I'm looking forward to reading your graphic novel. Its a subject that doesn't get much coverage outside of Japan. Thanks for trying to get the facts right...

Thank you all guys. :)
I always try to be as accurate as I can, and this will be one of my toughest jobs!

Hi all!
Sorry to bother you again, but I'm desperately looking for decent resolution pictures of the Narimasu Airfield. I have just close ups of planes in Narimasu which aren't quite helpful, and a few very small aerial photos... I even wrote to Kagero and Osprey publishers to ask them to make me in contact with their authors of books about JAAF, to ask them if they had some pics to send me: Kagero didn't reply me, while Osprey told me they sent my email to their author, but he still didn't reply (I wrote them roughly a month ago).
Please, help me if you can. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back