KI-84 Hayate Hasegawa, 1:72 scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sure Airframes.

Woodland Scenics provides most of the different grades and colors of Ballast, fine turf, Lichen, field grass hairs, and underbrush. Everything except the Lichen, appears to be made of artificial sponge.

The sheets of prefabricated grass are made by Noch and Henki.

Model railroad sites and shops seem to have the best selection for diorama supplies. I am lucky to have two hobby shops and a art store that have a really good selection of diorama materials.

FYI: Some of the underbrush and bushes made of the sponge material adhere better if you use a Cyanoacrylate glue. For some reason the white scenic glue (A form of Elmers white glue) does not like the material.

Sorry the below pic is blurry, crappy iPhone pic.

grasses.jpg

Last edited:
Also the pre made sheets of grasses and other types of landscapes are rather expensive. Most of the sheets cost between $15.00 and $30.00. I will say that they have many types of seasons and terrains and are very realistic.

If you can buy the materials separate and build it yourself you will save a lot of money. The individual terrain supplies come in large packages so one bag of underbrush for instance will last you a long time.

Thanks, it was the brand names of Noch and Henki I needed - the rest I know, especially prices! I often make my own 'long grass' and scrub type materials, the old fashioned way, by using sizel string, unravelled Scotch brite pads, wire wool etc, but sometimes the 'ready made' stuff fills a gap. Seeing a photo in a catalogue or on screen is no substitute for knowing what it actually looks like in real life, and my LHS does stock some grass and ground cover materials, but not all, hence the need to go 'on line' sometimes.
Somewhere here on the forum is Part One of a Diorama Guide I wrote and posted some time ago - but I haven't got around to writing and illustrating Part Two yet !!

Looks good. Most times, props don't chip mid-blade or on the back. The leading edge can take a beating- especially in a sandy environment.

I think the green paint did chip a lot.
Did you remove/replace the meatballs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back