King of nomenclature mess ups

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you stay away from a rotating output you get things like this.
500_F_75650733_YuHBcYin30YaPe6TyTZCdrr5UHnaaGRz.jpg

two were actually built and used.

Let me clear it all up. All engines with a rotating power out put are rotary's. All ya have to do is look up the definition of rotary.

I have a 1964 Webster's dictionary.
Rotary engine, 1. an engine in which rotary motion is produced directly, without reciprocating parts. 2. an internal-combustion engine with radially arranged cylinders rotating around a stationary crankshaft.

Or are you talking about just the definition of rotary ?
Rotary, 1. turning around a central point or axis, as a wheel. 2. having a rotating part or parts, as rotary press. 3. Occurring around an axis as rotary motion, a rotary machine or engine.

Let me clear it all up. All engines with a rotating power out put are rotary's. All ya have to do is look up the definition of rotary.

Well, I wish you luck on your one-man crusade to remove the term "rotary" from engines that rotate around a stationary crankshaft. I'd be intrigued to know what single word you would use to differentiate it from other types of piston-driven internal combustion engines, though.

That said, I will be one of those ignoramuses who will continue to call the 80hp Le Rhone a rotary engine. Just call me a Luddite.

If "Luddite" means unwilling to accept the senseless complication of a satisfactory convention, I'll sign enlistment papers for the Luddite Corps. "Semper Simplisticus!"
Cheers,
Wes

I have a 1964 Webster's dictionary.
Rotary engine, 1. an engine in which rotary motion is produced directly, without reciprocating parts. 2. an internal-combustion engine with radially arranged cylinders rotating around a stationary crankshaft.

Or are you talking about just the definition of rotary ?
Rotary, 1. turning around a central point or axis, as a wheel. 2. having a rotating part or parts, as rotary press. 3. Occurring around an axis as rotary motion, a rotary machine or engine.
No, like in other threads, he's talking about his own arbitrary definition...

Definition of the word: Rotary (of a thing) acting by means of rotation, especially (of a machine) operating through the rotation of some part.

Saying that only a spinning crankcase is a rotary engine is a false statement, and improper use of the term. Okay so a wankel is a rotary engine as well, its crankcase does not spin. The term rotary engine is messed up, it should be all inclusive to all engines that have something in them that rotate. The so called rotary engine that everyone is so set on is a RADIAL ENGINE. It just happens to have a grounded crankshaft. It should be called a grounded crankshaft engine or stationary crankshaft engine. So from now on the term rotary engine is going to be either a wankel or the spinning cylinder radial engine. How to tell them apart?

Last edited:
Definition of the word: Rotary (of a thing) acting by means of rotation, especially (of a machine) operating through the rotation of some part.

Saying that only a spinning crankcase is a rotary engine is a false statement, and improper use of the term. Okay so a wankel is a rotary engine as well, its crankcase does not spin. The term rotary engine is messed up, it should be all inclusive to all engines that have something in them that rotate. The so called rotary engine that everyone is so set on is a RADIAL ENGINE. It just happens to have a grounded crankshaft. It should be called a grounded crankshaft engine or stationary crankshaft engine. So from now on the term rotary engine is going to be either a wankel or the spinning cylinder radial engine. How to tell them apart?
I think Miguel Cervantes wrote a book about our man 4360. IIRC, it was titled "Don Quixote", about an aged Spanish nobleman who's vision was so bad that he mistook a windmill for a (rotary) engine of destruction and tilted at it with his lance. With predictable results.
Cheers,
Wes

The actual answer is yes (or maybe?)
Actually no... that's a swash-plate engine. Interesting little concept, but the wobbling motion still ends up being used to spin the shaft.

If "Luddite" means unwilling to accept the senseless complication of a satisfactory convention, I'll sign enlistment papers for the Luddite Corps. "Semper Simplisticus!"
If I recall luddites were people who were opposed to machines because they would put them out of jobs. It entailed both economics and a dislike for technology. The word sabotage allegedly came from these people since they would put a type of shoe called a sabot into the machines knowing it would destroy them.

Since the Wankel engine was developed in the 1950s (concept from 1929) and it does not conform to the definition of an engine where the crankcase revolves around the crankshaft, as used for WWI engines, I think it is the one that doesn't conform to the nomenclature.

The WWI rotary, therefore, uses the term correctly.

Yeah its nice to have a good discussion sometimes, breaks the monotony. Gets the brain cells moving and fired up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back