Kingfisher (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

larryrayj

Recruit
Mar 22, 2006
Greenville South Carolina
My uncle, Woody Johnson, was an airframe designer and did most of the design of the Chance-Vought OS2U Navy patrol plane prior to WWII. He was an engineering graduate of Dunwoody Institute in Minneapolis MN and worked as a contracts employee in the mid thirties to perform the design.

larryrayj said:
My uncle, Woody Johnson, was an airframe designer and did most of the design of the Chance-Vought OS2U Navy patrol plane prior to WWII. He was an engineering graduate of Dunwoody Institute in Minneapolis MN and worked as a contracts employee in the mid thirties to perform the design.
Very cool!!! The Kingfisher was the first aircraft to have it's primary structure spot welded together...

I have to find that picture of a Kingfisher in the PTO that had "recovered" a dozen shot down flyers. They were all sitting on the wings awaiting a Catalina to come in and pick them up.

You'll be glad to know there is 2 or 3 under restoration to airworthy standard here in Oz. Nice aircraft the Kingfisher, always liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back