Known aerodynamicists? (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spicmart

Staff Sergeant
May 11, 2008
Aerodynamics are an essential part of aircraft design. While the chief designers often have known names, what about the men who were responsible for aerodynamics. Were there especially talented aerodynamicists, to take an example out of Formula 1, the legendary Adrian Newey who would improve the craft to being serial winners everywhere he went?

I'm not sure you mean Adrian Newey, who wouldn't describe himself as an aerodynamicist. Willem Toet maybe?

I'm not sure you mean Adrian Newey, who wouldn't describe himself as an aerodynamicist. Willem Toet maybe?
At least I've read that Newey was one, wasn't he, or how would he describe himself as?

But it's about WW2 aircraft aerodynamics.

He has a fist class honours degree in aeronautics and astronautics. F1 cars are heavily influenced by aerodynamics but also many other things too.

He has a fist class honours degree in aeronautics and astronautics. F1 cars are heavily influenced by aerodynamics but also many other things too.

Aeronautics, not aerodynamics. Hence Toet, not Newey. I have a diploma in aeronautics: I would never consider myself an expert in aerodynamics, though I do know what the Reynolds Number is.

Ed Horkey for NAA comes to mind. I think he called himself "The Prince of smooth air" after his work on the P-51, but in later years he had few contemporaries to argue with him.

Aeronautics, not aerodynamics. Hence Toet, not Newey. I have a diploma in aeronautics: I would never consider myself an expert in aerodynamics, though I do know what the Reynolds Number is.
I agree, Newey is older than me and I remember when aerodynamics started in F1 as we now know it with shakey upside down wings, with the science not just about speed as in low drag but creating down force.

Aerodynamics are an essential part of aircraft design. While the chief designers often have known names, what about the men who were responsible for aerodynamics. Were there especially talented aerodynamicists, to take an example out of Formula 1, the legendary Adrian Newey who would improve the craft to being serial winners everywhere he went?
Aerodynamics is a branch of physics. The designers responsible for aerodynamics are engineers, not scientists. In my opinion, the most important contribution was made by scientists, who gave engineers the computational basis (mathematical equations, etc.). So, even the contributions of very talented engineers who dealt with aerodynamic problems like sir Stanley Hooker (2-stage SC for Merlins) cannot be compared to the solution of extremely complex mathematical and physical problems by researchers.

Aerodynamics is a branch of physics. The designers responsible for aerodynamics are engineers, not scientists. In my opinion, the most important contribution was made by scientists, who gave engineers the computational basis (mathematical equations, etc.). So, even the contributions of very talented engineers who dealt with aerodynamic problems like sir Stanley Hooker (2-stage SC for Merlins) cannot be compared to the solution of extremely complex mathematical and physical problems by researchers.
An aircraft isnt designed to satisfy one science, neither is an F1 car. Even planes made for record attempts still have to take off and land with a pilot who has to survive and see where he is going. In F1 the requirement is to be the fastest over a full race distance using two different tyres and with whatever weather is experienced at the time. That isnt the fastest car through a speed trap at the end of a mile long straight.

An aircraft isnt designed to satisfy one science, neither is an F1 car.
The designers use ready-made mathematical equations to estimate parameters/optimize geometry. These equations are derived by researchers. The empirical approach cannot be ruled out completely, but designing an airplane without using the mathematical apparatus of theoretical aerodynamics is either impossible or suboptimal.

It's said that even now aerodynamics is more of an art.
Nowadays huge computing power is available, many phenomena can be simulated with CFD software, which uses mathematical apparatus developed by theoretical aerodynamicists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back