"LA Approach Control, United 931 inbound for landing, flight of twenty"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One time a group of us at VAFB had to go to GD in San Diego and we thought we would be smart. Instead of flying from Santa Maria to LAX to San Diego we would drive to SB and fly direct to SD. Going down it worked fine, or at least it did after the Metro III flight crew decided to reinstall the Right Overwing Emergency Exit and not taxi out with it open. On the way back the next day, we could see the fog coming in as we flew up the coast. It was just covering the SB pier as we descended toward the airport. Then the pilot pulled up and went around, saying that he was using a VOR approach but the visibility had gotten too low and we would have to use ILS. Then he said the visibility was too low for ILS and we would have to divert to Santa Maria. Then he said it had suddenly improved and we would try it. We descended into the fog and then the engines revved up and we got a nice view of SB as we hopped over the the mountains. After 20 min or so they announced we were on final to Santa Maria. We went into a wall of fog on rollout.

In the terminal the airline told us another airliner was diverting there and they would ride us all down to SB in a van. That airliner could not get into SM and had to divert to Bakersfield. The airline said that instead of the van they wuld give us all vouchers for the differnce in fare between Santa Barbara and Santa Maria: $6!

So we decided we had outsmarted ourselves by trying to use SB to SD direct but on the other hand we probably would have been stuck at LAX or maybe even Bakersfield if we had flown the usual way. We drove down to SB and picked up our cars the next morning.

Time to spare? Go by air!

Not a new concept, semi trucks on the highway and racecars have been doing it for quite some time.

With commercial aircraft, the logistics of getting flights of aircraft into groups would be a bit complex, though.
Don't forget the peloton, drafting to preserve the leader's strength with the added benefit of shaving down anything not covered in state of the art lycra for max aerodynamic efficiency…

Last edited:
I've flown into Santa Barbara several times when personally flying a GA. Very courteous approach & tower personnel.

I have a severe hearing loss since birth in both ears & I've had to request their instructions more than once. Each time, they would carefully repeat without a hint of irritation. Then I'd request "progressive taxiing instructions to the Elephant Bar." Overall, very pleasant experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back