Lancaster monument Holland (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The general

Recruit
Apr 9, 2006
Here's a nice articel about the monument that a good friend of me made. Maybe someone here has extra info for her?

Memorial quest to find family of bomber hero

23 March 2006

WHEN Lancaster bomber ME752 was shot down over the Dutch town of Heythuysen, one man risked his life to rescue whatever he could from the blazing wreckage.

The date was July 21, 1944, and Daniël Brouns' parents' house was among those destroyed in the crash.

Although he could do nothing for the crew members, all of who were killed outright, he was able to retrieve a suitcase from inside the cabin, writes KAREN BURKE.

Now, more than 60 years later, its contents have propelled Daniël's daughter, Ria Schmieder, on a quest that has led her all the way to Redbridge.

For the past seven years, Ria, 47, has been attempting to trace the relatives of the crew of heavy bombers from the RAF's 75th New Zealand Squadron.

Three of the eight-man crew were British - and among them was wireless operator Sgt Jack Barson from Ilford.

Ria told the Recorder: "Unfortunately, I have never been able to find much information about Sgt Barson. I have not been able to find out, yet, if there are still living relatives of his.

"I would like them to know that I have been able to erect a monument for him and his crew members in Heythuysen. We will remember them."

Sgt Jack Frank Macdonald Barson was the only son of son of Louisa Ann Barson, of Duke Road, Barkingside.

Born in Ilford, he went to school in Newbury Park and at the time of his death aged 21 he was engaged to Marjorie Tyler, the youngest daughter of an Ilford councillor.

Having served with the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, Sgt Barson's grave now lies in Jonkerbos War Cemetery in Nijmegen.

Having in 2003 achieved the erection of a monument near the bomber's crash site, Mrs Schmieder has recently launched a website documenting the discoveries she has made to date.

She hopes that it will bring her another step closer to finding out more about Sgt Barson and the other crew members, including flight engineer Joseph Armstrong from Bradford, Yorkshire.

Sgt Barson's name is also included on a memorial commemorating six members of Newbury Park Methodist Church, Oaks Lane, Newbury Park, who lost their lives during the war. The plaque is soon to be moved to nearby St Peter's Church, Aldborough Road North, Aldborough Hatch.

Mrs Schmieder added: "It has not been easy to find information as this research was completely new to me and before you know how and where to look, months have passed.

"I do not know when my quest will be finished, I only know it will not be for some time. I will not stop searching until all I can find is found."

n Are you a relative of Sgt Barson - or do you know any surviving members of his family?

Anyone with information is asked to contact Ria Schmieder via her Lancaster monument website at www.lancastermonument.nl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back